Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Get those sweaters out, its almost SOUP time!

melvalena
12 years ago

A cold front is scheduled to arrive N Texas over night tonight. You won't need the multiple layers and parkas just yet.

"Isolated thunderstorms this evening, then skies turning partly cloudy after midnight. Low 52F. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%."

Over the last few days 'they' predicted it to be much cooler than what they're predicting now. It was supposed to not get above the 60's...and go down into the 40's over night but they're backing off from that now.

Still, its going to be cooler than it has been. :)

Comments (15)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Does this mean I gotta start planning where to stash my tropical plants? LOL

• texasflip
    12 years ago

Our forecast for 35 on Wednesday when up to 38. It always a little cooler at our house because we live down in a "holler" as I like to call it.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Trust me, I can wait for the parka weather.....forever, actually !!!!!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PJ You should have already started clearing out the garage so when its time all you gotta do is drag them in. :)

I'm a little behind myself, but it won't take much to get them in this year.

This afternoon I'm going to try to fertilize a few things that are still flowering, and then run the sprinklers this evening.

There's just something about Fall....
    Today I cleaned out my closet and set out my sweaters for in the morning. :) Sweats are hanging at the ready.

I threw away anything that was stained or torn.
    Anything that didn't fit, I hadn't worn in a year, or I knew I'd never wear again is in bags for CCA ready to load in the car.

Then I went through old stashes of make up. How many tubes of pink lipstick does a girl need anyway?

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Okay, try to make those of us who don't do these chores often feel bad, why don't you??? I will just bask in your jobs well done, and Scarlett and I will worry about doing mine tomorrow.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Tommorrow is another day! Right? Right? Been awhile since I saw that movie.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought for sure you gals had already done all those chores! :(

I thought I was way behind! But maybe if the rains come you can spend the day tomorrow working on your closets? It will be chilly and muddy out side anyway. Right?

You get to spend much more time working on your yards than I do.. and it shows! My 100% garden working time is coming. Soon. Then I'll have a place that looks like yours!

• ladybugfruit
    12 years ago

I am SO with you Carrie! I HATE the cold. :( But I do love the fall. I don't know what it is, but I always feel like I am so behind on fall chores though. Of course it never helps when I go out and buy plants I had not planned on that go in a bed that does not exist yet. LOL, part of it does now. I spent the better half of Sunday digging out grass so I could get my new palm tree in.
    Actually glad to hear it won't get as cold as they predicted.
    Melvalena, you are way too productive!! :) Inspiration for those of us who are in denial about upcoming cold weather!

• annnorthtexas
    12 years ago

I finally finished sprinkling out poppy seeds, scattering seeds from the repeat annuals, pinning a few plants and I am about to melt. I don't like cold weather but a cool front would be nice.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just sitting on the back porch and thought I saw lightning so
    I just looked at the weather map... its nearly here. :) but still far enough off that I don't think it was lightning I saw.

I didn't get any seeds scattered, or plants pinned down. :(

but its going to warm back up quickly and I'll have another chance!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I hope you have several more chances.............I can't think about cutting brugs before the middle of next month.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Carrie, is it too late to transplant my brug from pot to the garden? I hate to overwinter it inside again, and this summer it looked to me like it had red spider or something, then lost all its leaves, was bald, then when the weather cooled it came back with a vengeance! They must be tougher than they look, as I haven't managed to kill it yet!

melvalena, are you retiring? I retired in March of this year to stay home with my sick husband and love it!! Not getting as much done as planned, don't know where the time goes... :)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ogrose,
    I am retired. :) but I look after my grand kids until they're old enough to fend for themselves at preschool, and fill in sometimes when parent's schedules don't cooperate.

As soon as the last one is about 2-3yo I'll have my time to myself again.

About your brug, Carrie could better answer but I don't think you should plant it this late.
    But if you do, you'll have to cut it back in a month (just ahead of the first freeze) and root the cutting just in case the one you planted doesn't make it.

I think all the brugs got 'something' this year. It was so hot and dry.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Mel is right, ogrose, don't plant it out now......wait until next Spring when it will have ample time to get established, then do as she says .........cut it back in the late fall, mulch and wait for next Spring. Email me if you want more info.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

When I took psychology in college, the first words out of the professors mouth were:
    "Do you have unfinished business?
    Everyone has unfinished business."

When I am procrastinating about some chore like getting ready for winter unfinished business rings in my ears.

After these many years I do not remember how he tied that into a lesson but the words are still in my head.