Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree reccomendations for specific sized area in South Texas

Posted by haylotx85 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 12:01

Hello!
I was wanting to get some input for what kind of trees would be good for a new bed.
In my backyard (we have a wrap around garage) most of the area is concreted in. I recently had some of the concrete removed along the fence, approximately 24'x 3 1/2'. There used to be a huge ash tree but it recently was taken down in a storm, I also used to have really tall chaflera (sp?) trees that were killed in a freeze last winter and now I have not a single tree in the back yard and I am wanting to plant some nice trees in this new area. What trees would you recommend for a bed of this size? The bed backs up to a fence. I am looking for some height and shade would be nice too but I don't think a really large canopy would be a good idea because I am looking at plant several trees in this area. Possibly one tree with a larger canopy along with several other small canopied trees? What are you envisioning? I am in Portland, Texas which is right next to Corpus Christi. Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree reccomendations for specific sized area in South Texas

Texas Lignum-vitae might work in that size of bed. It is slow growing but eventually produces beautiful purple flowers and red seeds. I would recommend Texas Olive and Texas Persimmon but am afraid fruit drop might become a problem in your location.
Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Guajacum angustifolium @ LBJWC

o

This is the hackberry tree that we had :( and another picture of the removed concrete.
Photobucket

The new bed is essentially a continuation of this bed along the fence and the other side of the parallel fence. This may help you see the size a little easier.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o
Ideas!?

Ideas...the wheels are a turning! I was thinking of a palm, would that be weird mixed in with crepe myrtle? Photobucket

o

Palms and CM's are both tropical looking to me so it works. I favor flowering trees myself. Vitex,native olive, anacho(?) (orchid?) tree, tx mountain laurel (unless it's too warm there). Personally, if I lived that far south I'd have a yard full of Jacarandas despite thier messy habits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here