princealbert_gw

unknown tree

princealbert
13 years ago

This is mainly for the folks in Corpus,

but any help would be welcomed.

What is it's name? Does it grow fast?

Is it one of the orchid trees?

I was on the crosstown freeway the other day and saw this tree. There are 4 of them in different yards near the 1/2 way point between IH37 and Padre Island Drive on the right side traveling towards PID.

The thumb nails appear to be clickable today, been having trouble with that

Thanks.

pa

Comments (14)

• princealbert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry they were clickable in the preview message mode.
    try this.

http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu5/1prince-albert/

they are the 4 pics at the front of the album.

Thanks
    pa

• annieinaustin
    13 years ago

Maybe a kapok tree in flower? I've seen that kind of trunk with spikes on a kapok tree in Austin (Ceiba) and the flowers in your photos look close to this one

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Matthew LaBar' photo from Flicker

• annieinaustin
    13 years ago

Sorry! Both Ceiba, different species.

Annie

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I also think kapok. My uncle, in harlingen, has one grown from seed he planted many years ago.

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

It is a Kapok or Floss tree (Ceiba speciosa) Syn:Chorisia speciosa. I have seen these in Uruguay,South America.
    Beautiful trees.
    Art

• princealbert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks annie & plantmaven.
    I magnified one of my pics and the leaf, flower and seedpod? structure are the same.
    gotta get me one of them.
    pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

PA, there is one for sale on ebay for $8.99 and $6 freight, or you can buy seeds. You might want the Royal Poinciana seedling that I am going to take to the swap. I think it's the most beautiful tree I have ever seen in bloom. They are up and down the freeways from West Palm Beach to Key West, Fl. I will plant some at the coast in large pots, they cannot take cold weather. Barbra

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

Here is some information on the Royal Poinciana or Flamboyant Delonix regia from the University of Florida. Barbra, I've seen them growing from Corpus south to the Valley, but I recall seeing of few of them growing here in Rockport. References that say they can grow in USDA Hardiness Zone 9b, while others say Zone 10. which some say we are 9b since we are so close to the water. You could try growing one in a protected area of your yard.

Have fun at you plant swap.

• princealbert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Honeybunny,
    How big is the tree/plant now? If it is not too big I would like one.
    thanks.

I will be in a mini van for the swap with the boss lady and 2 dogs I travel with dogs too, mine are small.
    I would like to put one in the ground down in A.P. next spring. I'll stop by the trees in C.C. and ask the residents for seed pods, I have no shame in doing that, usually people will share.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Pa, I have some still in 5 inch pots, I will bring you one to the swap.

Linda, would you like me to bring you one next weekend? I still have a few. I tried to buy a tree when I was in Florida. The nurseries said they sell out the day they come in. Same thing with the Siam Ruby bananas. Gary, found a tree that still had a few seed pods, after days of looking for seeds on the ground. So up he went. Now, that a great husband. Barbra

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley. It can take 10 years from seed to bloom for a Royal poincina,
    About 10 years ago, Daddy took Mother to see one in Harlingen. They took pictures, but I can't find it now. It was one of the biggest we had ever seen.

I do remember one blooming at a grade school in Brownsville, in 1960. My SIL had a non bloomer at her house. She picked a branch off the one at the school and tied it to her tree. When her husband got home from work, he thought their tree had finally bloomed.

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

plantmaven, LOL!

Barbra, yes if you have any extras, I'll try to get one going.

Thanks!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Ok Linda, I will bring one down for you. We will be down next weekend. Barbra

• princealbert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda,
    Thanks for the pic, now I know what to look forward to.
    Thanks for the stories Kathy. Your sil must be a real character.

pa