Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinmatt_gw

Where in the Austin area to buy maples

AustinMatt
10 years ago

Hey All,

My wife and I moved into a new house this summer and have been waiting until fall to add some new trees to the back yard. Does anybody know of nurseries in the Austin area that carry Big Tooth or Shantung maples this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

--
AustinMatt

Comments (9)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

You could give Barton Springs Nursery (512-328-6655) a call to see if they still have some in their fall stock. Great place - they're usually the first folks I check when in Austin. May have also seen some at The Great Outdoors (512-448-2992) back in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barton Springs Nursery - Austin, TX

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Since you're close to Pfluggerville, try the Pecan Street Nursery. Their employees are very helpful as well as knowledgeable. There's also a large nursery on the 35N, heading TOWARD Georgetown, unless you're past Louis Henna, then it would be 35S. I don't know what exit you would take, but it's hard to miss. Ask for Luis, he's the owner. .

• AustinMatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I called Barton Springs and they have both, though they only have the Big Tooth Maples in 5 gallon pots. I stopped by and looked and they're not bad - mostly 6-7 feet tall and in good shape. I'm a little concerned about the size though - I'd like something a bit bigger. They have 5 gallon Shantungs as well - I'd be more comfortable with the smaller size for them, given the faster growth rate.

Red Barn on Pond Springs has a few Big Tooth Maples in really big pots - I'm guessing 35 gallons or so. Very pricey at nearly $350 a piece, but it does get us a more mature tree immediately.

Interesting suggestion, patty cakes. There isn't a "Pecan Street Nursery" that I can find, but there is Green and Growing, which is on Pecan. Great folks, but they don't stock the Big Tooth Maple. I had asked previously and they said it didn't do well in Pflugerville. But the other side of I-35 is a very different story.

Thanks again for the good suggestions, folks.

• ArtVandelay99
    10 years ago

Try Ted's Trees on Tillery Street for larger specimens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ted's Trees

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

I wonder who sells Mexican Sugar Maple in Austin area? It seems to be a fast growing compared to Bigtooth maple. Planted one at parents in law and it seems to have grown 3 ft at least already in its first year.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Recalled the following TP&W article from when we where trying to decide between Big Tooth and Shantung Maples that provided some hill country sources. None are close to you, but those that are still in production, may provide some options in the 20-25 gallon range and/or know retailers they supply closer to Austin. Noticed Watson Farms of Fredericksburg updated FB on the 4th that they had just dug their maples.

Here is a link that might be useful: In search of Bigtooth (TP&W)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

lou_midlothian_tx, While looking at their pomegranate selection online the other day, I noticed that Hill Country Natives in Leander sells the Mexican Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum skutchii) in both a 1 gallon and 3 gallon size. They list it under "M" for Mexican in their "plants available for sale" list, under the "Shop Online" heading. When I looked up their location, it seemed like it was in the Austin area to me, but perhaps you were hoping for someplace closer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hill Country Natives

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Plantloverkat,

Thanks! I must have missed that one when I went to that website in the past when looking up Montezuma cypress. Looks like a great place that uses root maker containers for superior root system.

• AustinMatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Just to circle back to this, we ended up buying a big tooth maple at Red Barn Nursery in Northwest Austin. They had larger plants - I'd guess 25-35 gallons. Pricey, but worth it (and they were having a 25% off sale on shade trees). The trees went in last weekend, in time to enjoy much of the recent rains.

In addition to the maple, we bought the following:
    "Catawba" Crepe Myrtle
    "Sam Houston" Peach
    Flame Sumac.

Thanks again for the help. I may yet pick up a Shantung maple to add to the fall color here.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus