Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soupandquackers

Advice About Green Houses

SoupandQuackers
9 years ago

Hi there. I've always wanted a greenhouse (actually, I'd love to have a real glass conservatory, but that's WAY out of my price range), but I'm concerned that there may be more problems associated with them than what I've considered.

I've used the little inexpensive "zip up" covered shelves & cold-frames for greens in the winter & starting seeds and even in those I had a horrible time with highly-intelligent fire-ants who decide that the snuggly warmth is better than out-in-the-yard cold. I'm not even sure a foundation would keep the ants, mice, etc. at bay. I'd appreciate it if anyone would give me their honest opinion; would a modestly-priced greenhouse even be worth it in East Texas, or should I just keep using a little cold-frame for the relatively short winter we usually have? I'm worried that part of my problem is that I have visions of an acquaintance's elegant greenhouses that she used for her orchids, but what I'd have would be much simpler and possibly not be able to do as much. Also, how long could I honestly expect the plastic panels to last? THANKS

Comments (3)

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

Are you planning to build one? We did and used the plastic sheet siding sold at Lowes and said to be up to Texas heat. It was not. We blamed it on hail redid it again it became brittle in 2 years. Finally we went for the twin wall poly that we were able to buy in FW from folks who sell a little to the public but basically build greenhouses on site. They were right...this stuff has lasted for 7 years this month. We also put on a metal roof to avoice hail damage and save money. Then the twin wall poly was $700. alone.

I was talking to someone today who got a decent size one from Biglots for about $100. It zips up and has a zip window. It is 6 sided with some shelves. I do not used mine from mid March to late November.
    I love having it to hand bougies all winter and to keep a big Brug big. I also use it for some tropical. My citrus trees go in the garage and I roll them out for Sun when possible. I did not realize what a tempting treat they are to our little rodents.
    It is not elegant but have had it since fall 2003. Buy the plastic panels from a greenhouse builder just 'cause it says Texas on it doesn't mean it really is for us. c

• Phil S.
    9 years ago

If you do get a greenhouse you'll appreciate the space, even in summer. You'll find some way to utilize it all year round.
    I have a "snap together" greenhouse made by Palram. They can be special ordered at Lowes or Home Depot for reasonable prices. They have UV resistant plastic panels with aluminum frame, and it has held up quite well. 3 years and haven't replaced anything, and nothing looks like it needs to be replaced anytime soon.
    Just know that with any snap-together product (like anything from Ikea) a little extra work goes a long way. For example, when I built my greenhouse I used clear outdoor silicone (extreme temp. for outside windows and doors) to "glue" all of the joints of the frame together before I put the panels in. This helps reinforce it against our Texas winds.
    Having a proper base is also important, and the most work. Plan on spending almost as much on a proper base as the greenhouse. I did pavers, ones large enough to drill into to anchor the greenhouse down.

The only problems I have had:
    Fire ant - the first year I didn't think about them. They removed so much sand from under pavers I had to take some pavers out to replace sand. You just have to put out ant poison a few times a year around the perimeter even if you don't see any.
    Noise - the plastic panels bow and flex in higher winds, so if the greenhouse is next to your house or a neighbors it can get noisy.

Not much work or maintenance since building. Definitely will be getting another for any future homes.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Get a bigger one than you need because you will need a bigger one.

Same as with a vegetable garden if you can put it in a sheltered area or establish or install some shelter for it the wind reduction should make things more pleasant.