Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Share your Texas Garden Blog

Posted by vanillalotus 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 13:27

Anyone here have a garden blog. Care to share?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Sprout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Share your Texas Garden Blog

Fun blog:)
My wife keeps telling me I need to start a blog and tell about my daily experiences as a garden center manager here in the Hill Country but I just haven't gotten into the whole journaling thing but maybe I will make that a new year rez. I am a sporatic writer at best, sometimes I seem to get in the groove and I can't type fast enough for all the thoughts pouring out, but at other times I am as tight-fisted as a clam with my wordsmithing:)

Maybe if I see other GWebbers doing it I will be inspired to give it a go (hint, hint y'all ;) Thanks for sharing and as always
Happy Growing David

o

• Posted by txspice 8a Hill Country Tx (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 07 at 7:52

Wish I wrote more often but I'd rather be outdoors than at the 'puter.

I'd love to get more input from others.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Hill Country Journal

o

I live in an apartment so all I have is a balcony to work with. That balcony doesn't give me enough time to be outside in the "garden" all the time.

txspice, I love your blog. I like how your entry include information on the plants you talk about. I wish I could do that but I don't know much yet I'm a noob.

Hitexplanter I side with your wife. You don't have to blog everyday. Some of the blogs I love to read post maybe only a few times a month. I think you should start one up and see how it goes. Chances are you'll get addicted to it. I'd be interested in reading your blog. A garden center manager must have tons of knowledge! I'd love to see what you can share.

o

I have a LiveJournal on which I do write gardening stuff, but it's also an other-stuff journal. Does that still count? Maybe I should make a separate journal just for gardening ...

Anyway, here's the one I have.

Oh, and my passionflower is blooming! I'm so happy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie's LJ

o

any other texas blogs? There are many texans were are all the blogs

o

http://beckisbackyard.blogspot.com/

here is mine..I need to update more!

Here is a link that might be useful: In my Backyard

o

Vanilla: I'm not crazy about having cactus in my landscape either. However, my daughter just got her driver's license. I'm very glad that we have a cactus at the edge of our driveway. She keeps hitting that thing and hitting that thing. It has served a purpose.

o

pricklypearsatax, that's funny. I guess when they serve a purpose they are good. I just would never plant one. Good luck on the new driver.

yummykaz nice pictures. There is no need to update all that much but I always check the 30+ blogs on my list everyday or when I have time for updates. I love to get ideas and learn new things about plants and gardening from others.

o

Keep them coming, I've bookmarked them all (txspices I already had bm'd).

o

While I can't speak for the rest of Texas, there are nearly a dozen garden bloggers in Austin.

My blog is called the Transplantable Rose, and if you scroll down on the left, you'll find links to Austin garden blogs and to other gardeners around the world.

Blogging takes a lot of time - one reason I post less frequently on this board, but I think any way for gardeners to be in touch with each other is pretty cool.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: The Transplantable Rose

o

Just got to bump this up in case there are any new Texas bloggers out there. I love read the Texas blogs because I can relate more to the weather and plants.

o

Just saw this post. I just started my first blog. Its very new and still in the beginning stages.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

o

Mine is waiting for me to post pictures I have taken recently. Maybe I can get it done this weekend.

I have enjoyed doing this blog tremendously. Certainly more than I ever expected.

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: An Obsessive/Compulsive Plant Collector

o

http://www.icantremember.org/category/garden/

I update in spurts--usually when I'm not gardening, so it's been a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: ICan'tRememberGarden

o

Okay, I know I was in on a discussion about this on another thread, but how do you start a blog? I would be interested in doing this. Are there any sites recommended more than others? Does it cost anything?

o

denisew. It is easy to start a blog and there are many great sites that you can make one for free. Blogger and Wordpress are the most popular. I have blogger and I feel that it is easier to set up and customize for those that are beginners. All you do is set up an account and then there will be easy step my steps on customizing your layout and such. Really simple and free!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blogger

o

Mine is a creativity themed blog, but I use my gardens as examples all the time. Aren't gardeners artists after all?

I include quite a few garden photos as well.

If you visit this coming week, you'll see some posts on pruning, photographing your flowers and landscape, and a few other garden type topics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Soul

o

aaack!!

that's the URL to my old site--ignore it!

try this: http://www.icantremember.org/garden/

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Plants garden blog

o
RE: Share your Texas herbs

I happened to stumble upon a "Homegrown in Texas" link all about herbs, it has lovely pictures and tid bits of info about cooking with herbs and gardening.. I thought I'd share it with you, take a look at www.bluelabelherbs.com

o

Hi all--sorry if this gets posted more than once; I was having a little bit of trouble registering on the site.

Anyway, I am gardening up in Lubbock and have a blog called The Bicycle Garden. Stop by if you get a chance!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bicycle Garden

o

I love reading blogs on Texas gardening because I learn so much and I can relate to climate conditions. However, I seldom read blogs at all anymore. Why? Because, most are not updated for large periods of time. I am sure that creating and maintaining a blog is a lot of work--just like writing in any journal might get tedious over time. On the other hand, as a reader I will only check out a blog for updates so many times before I write it off completely. A once a month update will not hold my interest. So, if you are going to take the time and trouble to create a blog in the first place, please take the time and trouble to keep it updated. If that proves not to be possible, then take the blog down entirely.

o

Mine is more of a whatever-pops-into-my-head blog. It's on my profile I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Next Fifty Years

o

Here's mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: sb158's Valley Garden

o

Here is my blog attempt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plano Prairie Garden

o

Now I have a link and no excuse not to blog. I keep a sporadic garden journal, try to write down when I fertilize etc. but I'd rather BE in the garden.

Tally HO! Headed outside before the storms

HAPPY SPRING! HAPPY SPRING!!

o

Sure hope you don't mind me correcting your link to blogspot dot com, accidentalhuswife. I'm glad I figured it out and found your very cool blog.

You have my sympathy on losing tomatoes to hail - we also had to replant.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose blog

Here is a link that might be useful: accidentalhuswife blog

o

Thank you so much Annie! I appreciate it! And thanks for the sympathy on the tomatoes. We had another hail storm hovering around tonight and I was prepared to throw my body across my tomato plants. Fortunately, the crisis was averted. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Accidental Huswife

o

We had some hail here, too - should have been thinking about the tomatoes but worrying about the new roof and skylight distracted me!
Looked this morning and think all is okay with 1" free water.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: The Transplantable Rose

o

This isn't my garden, but rather a documentation of the establishment and maintenance of a wildflower meadow at a local elementary school. I wanted to preserve the information for future generations. I also posted this over in the conversations arena because back in the fall I had promised people here that I would post pictures of the meadow in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaughan Meadow Blog

o

I have enjoyed reading your blogs and touring your gardens. What fun! I have a gardening blog, but I don't update it daily. Please check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

o

Well, it's not exactly a blog, but my husband and I have a website where we share our successes and failures (!) on our little Texas farm. We have gardening tips, nature activities, recipes, herb information, and photos. We update monthly, and there is also a free newsletter that you can sign up for (e-mail address completely confidential, we swear)that has recipes, herb-of-the-month, nature activities for children and a way to contact us if you have a specific question or comment. We are at www.rgf-tx.com and the gate at Red Gate Farm is always open for friends!

o

• Posted by wandam1 zone 8b/9 - S. TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 17:09

I've really enjoyed reading all the blogs listed in this thread.
I have a blog that I really enjoy. It's not always about gardening, but this time of year gardening is a big part of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bee Hive

o

Y'all's blogs are so cool. I'd include mine, but it includes things that aren't fit to print - baggage. I enjoy your entries and photos immensely.

~ freshair

o

Baggage, yep, me too. I spill my guts from time to time. It's cathartic.

o

I love to garden in Texas because we have four seasons to garden in.....wow! Check out my blog.....I try to add to it weekly, but it has been a little hot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laneystexasgarden

o

I like to read blogs your blog is very nice. I love gardening too.
--------------
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Shares

o

I write a reader blog in the Houston chronicle. I try to not write about only tomatoes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Food And Wildlife in My Backyard

o

Blogging can be addictive -- I try to write every day and mostly, I can think of something.

I write about plants, birds, recipes, and odd things that happen out there in my Sugar Land area garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fold, Fallow and Plough

o

I'm also new to blogging, but I'm not too old to try something new. Please visit my blog and any garden tips you might want to leave.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Cottage Garden

o

• Posted by jun_ 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 17:05

just put mine up this morning

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical in Houston

o

I started a blog/website about a month ago. This is mainly centered to the gardeners in the North Texas area. This is an ongoing process and get excited to see new users each day.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Texas Gardening

o

Here's a Texas blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: TexasFlora.com

o

Here's my Houston garden blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://houstongardengirl.blogspot.com/

o

I have a blog on worm composting in Texas

Here is a link that might be useful: worm composting blog

o

I started a garden blog a few months ago. Please feel free to check it out and leave a comment. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://portholeleaves.com

o

Here is our website for the Rockport Herb & Rose Study Group and here is our blog Rockport Herbies. Three of us work on it, so often we have lots of varied information and not only information about herbs. Check us out when yhou get a chance.

o

• Posted by manda3 8a DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 12:43

o

I'm not sure if I should post mine or not. I haven't had a photo or entry concerning gardening since May. Mine is kind of an 'everything' blog. But there have been fairly recent entries and photos of our chickens, so that is semi garden related, I guess. More recent entries have tended towards holidays and artsy-crafty stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bee Hive

o

just really getting started - so not alot there - but will be by spring - I promise!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lincoln County Garden Girl

o

Here's a link to mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses and Other Gardening Joys

o

Here's a link to mine..it has a little of everything, but I find myself enjoying blogging about my garden, so there are more and more garden posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forget-Me-Nots

o

I have a blog I occasionally update about native plants I find around my place. It's more about the pictures and documentation but some people might find it interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Plants of Friendswood

o

Great blog!
============================
Buck
http://www.seedcatalog.com
Heirloom Seeds 'How God plants His garden'

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.seedcatalog.com

o

My blog is called, 'In the Charamon Garden,' but will soon be renamed as I move to a hosted site. It will most likely be called, 'Food from the Dust,' which is much more descriptive of my emphases. My specialty is organic vegetable gardening in areas of 'spotty' rainfall. West Texas is dry, dusty and windy. It gets very hot in summer and quite cold in winter. The soil and water tends to be alkaline. Did I say it can be very windy? There is usually a serious lack of humus in the soil and iron and calcium tend to be unavailable. These conditions are, in a word, difficult. And, they are common conditions not only in Texas, but across the Southwest. I want to help fellow-gardeners who struggle with these challenges.

Here is a link that might be useful: In the Charamon Garden

o

My blog is called "Neighborly Place" -it's about life on our farm and how we enjoy the simple things in life.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neighborly Place

o

Hi everyone! I'd love to share my blog with you. I would also enjoy hearing your tips, comments and suggestions about my topics. Thanks - Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature is Nurture

o

Greetings all! I have a new illustrated Texas gardening blog called Dorris the Flip Flop Gardener. I would love to know what you think of the site.

http://flipflopgardener.blogspot.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorris the Flip Flop Gardener

o

Hello there,
Awesome blogs so far. Keep em coming!

I recently started to write and elaborate about my Xeriscape designs.

I hope you will visit, read and leave some input.

Thanks and have a wonderful week!
Reed

Here is a link that might be useful: Austin Native Landscaping Blog

o

Hello all, here is my veggie/fruit/chicken blog. It's a bit out of date.

http://nguyengarden.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Nguyen garden blog

o

My blog is a year old now, and I'm still posting several times a week. My main focus is roses, but I included a lot more than that!

I hope you'll come by!

http://dreamingofroses.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses and Other Gardening Joys

o

Holleygarden,

I went through a lot of the blogs listed in this thread early this morning and a good number of them haven't been updated in at least a year. :(

I saved yours to have a closer look later.

If I may ask, what part of East Texas are you in?

o

melvalena - It seems a lot of bloggers quit after a while, that's why I thought I'd put a new message on there that mine was still active.

I live close to Tyler, which is probably why roses seem to do well for me. But I have a lot of companion plantings in my garden, too. If it helps you to know, I have clay, acidic soil (except where I've brought in dirt - and it's sandy).

Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog. It started just as a way to journal my garden, but I've really enjoyed writing about and photographing my garden through this past year.

o

Holleygarden,
I've spent a good deal of my afternoon hanging out at your blog! I love that you post so many photos, and label them too!

I'll be spending the next several days at your blog reading past posts and taking notes. :)

o

Melvalena, that makes me smile. I hope you'll also consider subscribing by email. :)

o

Adding my blog to the list...its mostly about vegetable gardening; with some other things mixed in here or there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainably Modern

o

Thanks everybody for the recent blog shares!

A fairly new blog that I really enjoy is Shirley's Rock-Oak-Deer San Antonio based blog. She really gets around and I'm learning a lot of new stuff about the city I live in as well as her gardening experiences under conditions a lot like mine plus her visits to interesting Hill Country garden spots; all with lots of great pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock-Oak-Deer blog spot ...

o

Thank you! You're so nice to put my blog in the list and say such nice things.

o

Hey Y'all!
I just wanted to say thanks a lot for sharing your wonderful and beautiful blogs.
I am excited to say that I have looked at most of them and posted links to them from my website. Check out the link bellow. I have 99 Texan Blogs listed!

I am trying to compile an extensive, and all inclusive blog list of ALL the Texas gardening blogs available online.

Help me make it to 100. Please comment there if I missed your blog.

Thanks again for sharing and have a wonderful evening!

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Blogs!

o

Here is one more blog! My garden blog, from Garland, TX.
Just started it this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabal's Garden in Garland

o

Here's my video blog on gardening in the DFW area.

I try to update once a week, or every other week when not much is happening.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

o

Hi! I'm pretty new to the Texas forum but I used to be around the FL forum very often before we left FL back in 2010 to do some backpacking. Now we are settled in far NW Houston I am back in the gardening realm again. I'm definitely interested in checking out all of the links above to get some new ideas....I'm a tropical girl at heart so I miss all of my orchids and Z10+ plants.

My personal blog which has some gardening stuff is at Oceanic Wilderness but I am also part of a gardening blog where three of us write about our gardening woes and triumphs at Sprout Dispatch

Looking forward to checking out everyone's gardens!

o

Wow -- more garden and adventure blogs to check out.

Thank you all for listing them here as well as on each other's blogs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here