Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Winter Sowing for the New Gardeners

melvalena
12 years ago

If you are new to gardening you may not know about Winter Sowing. Its a little early to start, but its not too early to be getting all your supplies and plans lined up and learning how to do this.

Check out this group, feel free to ask questions there or over here. Be sure to read their FAQ. Its very well written.

I'm no expert, but I have done it with pretty good results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

Comments (69)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great ibheri!!
    The winter sowing forum is very friendly, just like here.
    Feel free to post any questions or comments in either place.

Only problem I have with the winter sowing forum is seeing some of the photos of their beds and flowers!! Its like spring all summer long for them!

Those zone 6, 5, and 4 people like to show off some! :)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

I'm going to do some more winter sowing, Mel - I tried it a year or so ago and had great luck. I also use my tubs in the summer for starting seeds like rainlilies that I want to keep an eye on.

I'm going to try to sow the seeds a little farther apart since the germination rate is so good. I saw on one of the links you posted that someone is sowing a mere half dozen seeds per container. Yikes! I have some serious need for more containers (and more potting soil!)

Lin

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Lin/melvalena, I had the same question too, how many per container? Also most of the postings in winter sowing are from zones 6/5. I want to wait after christmas.

indu

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you're going to plant hunk of seedlings sow thickly.

I, for most things, prefer to plant individual plants.
    So I sow very sparsely in the used nursery pots and cell packs and disposable cups. Which is more work setting up and takes up much more space, but it makes planting out much easier for me.

Things that can be done in hunks and let them duke it out can be put in the milk jugs.

Tomatoes I'll do individually as well. I just hate to have to chose which plants to kill when several are in the same pot and it comes time to thin them out. :(

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bump..
    I can't wait for Christmas to get over and done with!
    I hate the cold and am so looking forward to spring and the return of the hummers!

Thinking and planning my Winter Sowing gives me that garden fix I need right about now.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I am going to bottle your enthusiam and give it to "me" for Christmas.

• ckap
    12 years ago

I want to try my hand at winter sowing this year too.For those who have done this before which annuals and perennials did best for you?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Its been so long since I did it I'll have to really think about what did really well.
    Off the top of my head I can say tomatoes, foxgloves, and oh man there was one more thing.. oh hollyhocks!! All had excellent germination for me.

I'm sure there were lots of other things but my mind is too muddled to remember them.

This year I'm going to concentrate on perennials. Once those are all sown, if I have time and supplies then I'll do annuals.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

Melvalena, Are you actually saying you would rather it be spring gardening weather than Christmas? That most wonderful time of the year? (sarcasm)

I have been working in the garden on all the nicer days and have been sowing seeds since fall. Every time I even think of Christmas, which I dread, all I can say is I will be glad when its over with and we are on the downhill slide toward spring.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

I have also had really good luck with herbs like cilantro, parsley, dill, basil.

My biggest mistake is sowing the seeds too thick, so this year I'm going to try to be a little more sparing. I'm also saving half-gallon jugs so that I won't feel that I have to put too many in.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I think Rudbeckia's do the best for me.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Right now my dinning room has paper plates full of drying seeds and flowers/seed heads I collected just before Thanksgiving.
    I have to get them all packaged up and put away so we can have Christmas Dinner there!

Its not digging the dirt but its garden related, isn't it?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Only one more room and tree to pack up! Then we haul it all up to the attic and then I can start Winter Sowing!!

Anyone else close to ready to start?

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I won't be doing this, but will follow this thread closely as I love to read about what others are doing.

• chickadee_42us
    12 years ago

Going over to the winter sowing forum now to 'take a look'. You've certainly made it sound great.

• weldontx
    12 years ago

Is what I'm doing winter sowing??? I have an 8 X 8 shop with
    florescent lights (about 6 or 7) and start seeds in plant trays -- like the ones from the nursery. I will start by Jan. 15 and often have as many as 9 or 10 trays going by spring time. Does anyone know were to find the Berger plant mix BM7??
    I have learned the hard way to keep the trays as close to the lights as possible. Here is a great website about when to plant what in zones 7 & 8. ALSO good companion plants
    to put together.

http://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-7-8-planting-schedule

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weldon what you are doing is not winter sowing. Its indoor sowing under lights. :)

Winter Sowing is planting our seeds in mini green houses that we've made out of milk jugs, soda bottles, or pots in clear zip lock bags. We then set these containers out in the yard in the shade and wait for Mother Nature to do her thing.

No worry about lights, heating, hardening off, gnats, bugs or damping off. We don't have to worry about those gully washer spring rains, wind, or birds having their way with our seeds or seedlings. They are all safe and sound in their little green houses.

About the only thing we have to worry about is keeping them from frying once the temps warm up and getting them in the ground before they out grow their containers.

Check out the links in the thread to learn more about it.

• weldontx
    12 years ago

Thanks, melvalena. SO, I can use my 1 gal pots, plant the seeds and cover with gal. plastic bags?? What about tomatoes and other plants that are winter tender? Do you just wait until later to start them? Which method will have plants ready more quickly -- underlights, or winter sow? Ok, I'll catch my breath. I'm starting seeds next week- either method or maybe some of both. Can I start broccoli in winter sow now?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Weldon :) Just be sure to leave slits in the top and allow the containers to drain. Don't put them in direct sun light, they'll cook instead of grow.

Follow the directions on the winter sowing site and you'll have great plants come spring!

I'd wait a bit on the tender stuff. I plan to sow my tomatoes in Feb in 2 liter bottles and in styro cups.

I'm not sure about the broccoli though. Its a cool season thing. Shouldn't it be planted in the fall?

quick look up via google:

Here is a link that might be useful: broccoli in Texas

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I got my winter sowing started today.
    Instead of the milk jugs I normally use, I'm trying the large clear tubs.
    I would have liked clear lids also, but got the cheaper white ones.
    I only got 1 tub and was able to get 10 pots in it.
    So I'm going to have to buy 1 or 2 more tubs and more potting mix.
    Also ordered more seeds today and still want seeds from 2 different companies.
    But this is a good start.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ruth,
    those white tops are going to come in handy later this spring when you have to shade the seedlings from direct overhead sun!

I noticed at Walmart today the clear tubs with colored lids were the cheapest. :)

Oh and yesterday I was melting holes in containers and my soldering iron died. :(
    Thankfully I have a back up one. :)

I used a small box cutter blade to cut the center portion out of the tops of large yogurt and sour cream containers. I can put plastic over the tops and snap the lid on to hold it in place.

I plan to start sowing the seeds over the weekend.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Wow, you guys are really busy ............ I know where to come for my spring seedlings.........LOL>

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carrie,
    I SOW have you in mind while prepping my containers. :)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

You are so funny AND clever....................

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Over in the Winter Sowing Forum they have a thread for Container Count / Zone Wars official container counting.

Zone 8 needs some help! Its still early for zone 8ers, but be sure to post your counts in the thread to help out your zone.

look for thread: Container Count / Zone Wars 2011-2012 !! Official Count (1)

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOO HOO!!!!!
    I started planting today!! My goal is to use up all the seeds I have. Some of them planted today were packaged for 2004!!

I'm sure some will grow, some won't, but they'll be out of my stash.

72 containers!

• jimr36
    12 years ago

Sounds great! And wow, 72 containers?!?

Are those all starting inside, or are some being planted outside?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are all outside. I do not start plants inside at all. It never works for me.

• cerri
    12 years ago

This was to be the first year I tried winter sowing (I do my peppers and tomatoes indoors but don't have the room to start flowers), but I've been scared since it's been so unseasonably warm this winter (what winter?).

Will this stuff really not germinate if I winter sow them now? It's going to be super warm this week, too. The latter half of the week it's supposed to be in the 70's like 4 days in a row, only dropping into the 50's at night. Will the cooler temps at night keep them from germinating?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have no idea where you live so it all depends.
    It sounds to me like yours need to be placed in the shade, at least for now, while you're having such a warm spell.

Here in N Texas we have very mild winters. Warm days most of the time, freezing nights and not so freezing nights. Occasionally we have a little snow and ice but it doesn't stick around longer than a day or 2.

We just make sure our containers are put in the shade, or only get a little morning sun.
    Our warmer temps and the sun tends to warm them up too much and they dry out faster.

If your containers are going to be covered in snow where you live, you can put them out anywhere you want.

Some of mine are nestled in under evergreen bushes, others are up against the south fence (facing North) so no sun hits them.

Once they sprout, they need some sun, but we have to be watchful that they don't get too hot or dry out, which happens very fast here.

• boysnoise210
    12 years ago

Hi, all! What is the consensus from you experienced WS'ers about when winter will come for us in Texas (I'm in Central Texas)? I suspect we will get some really harsh weather in February, and I've been waiting out these warm spells to start my containers. I started with the Zone 6-7 people last year and lost most of my seedlings to the sun (and chickens!). Are you sowing your containers, and what measures are you taking to keep them from overheating? Which side of your house is best? Thanks for any input! I've got two years of failed gardening attempts under my belt, but I'm determined to try, try again...

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Melvalena, can you please post some pictures of you Winter sown containers? I was planning on sowing this week or next.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have to run right now.. but

boysnoise210, put them in the shade. When you eventually place them in the sun you have to be ever watchful!

ibheri, I'll try to take some photos later today.

You can see lots of photos on the winter sowing forum. Mine look like those only with out the neat handwriting. I'm the only one who can read mine. :)

you can also check this out:

Here is a link that might be useful: lots of photos here

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had a minor set back and haven't planted any more containers. I hope to et some set out today and take some photos.

If you need more inspiration check out below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing thread w/lots of photos

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I checked mine yesterday and have sprouts in 3 pots.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I only have 2 jugs sprouted, both are swiss chard. Little bitty things but about 8-10 in each jug. Once they get bigger I'll separate them into small pots until they're big enough to go in ground.

Ruth, what has sprouted for you?

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I have two types of salvia and desert willow tree sprouted.
    I've got to get busy sowing more seeds.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have more sproutage!!
    Some of the Dianthus Ideal magical mix has sprung up.
    They weren't there yesterday.
    I managed to sow 22 more containers today.

here's the photos promised:

These are up next to the house and get morning sun. I'm trying to get them to sprout sooner so I want them to be a little warmer. So far only the swiss chard has come up.
    The skinny ones are tomatoes I sowed today.

The rest or up against the fence that faces north or under some shrubs. Only one of them has sprouted there, the dianthus which I've now moved to the morning sun area.

Here's the sproutage:

the baby dianthus, I sowed it heavy so there's gonna be lots more coming up in there:

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Go, girls, go !!!!

• ruthz
    12 years ago

22 containers sowed yesterday
    27 sowed today
    total of 59
    I think thats about enough for me.
    Now I've got to get my peppers and tomatoes done.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

I entered mine in the count, I am the only one from zone 9. People I need some company......

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I'd already posted this the day you guys added your containers to the Zone War. I smiled so big when I read your posts!

Update!!!!
    I have more sprouts!!! I check everyday.. sometimes twice a day. This afternoon I have new bitty bitty babies!

The lettuce I almost gave up on!
    2 of 4 flats of Lobelia, one flat had dried out, so I watered it a little and put it back in the shade.
    Canterbury Bells, Penstemon Elect Blue, and Foxglove Strawberry!

At this rate I just might be able to plant out lobelia for Easter! I just love that blue/purple color, but don't ever want to purchase plants I know won't last long in our area. Seed packet says 60-75 days to bloom...
    (crossing my fingers and hoping I can separate the seedlings... they look like moss in that container! )

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everything seems to be just holding. Growth is very slow. The swiss chard now have their second set of leaves though.

I noticed in one of my smaller (large yogurt cup)there are some tiny Johnny jump ups sprouted.

Today I decided the one large under the bed storage container was not going to work.

Nothing has sprouted and there is no condensation on the lid. I think due to the solid colored lid and that its such a shallow container no light is getting to the soil in there. Its all still damp and its draining well, but no heat is building up in there. I think taller containers with the solid colored lids might still work, anyone using them? What have you noticed about them?

So I took all the little pots out and put them in zip lock bags and back outside in the shade. They are vented and have holes in the bottom to drain. As I'd take another batch out to place I'd notice the previous ones had built up condensation and were looking more like little green houses.

I hope to get some more seeds planted this week.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

I did 22 so far. I am seeing sprouts of cosmos which are from the first batch I sowed on 01/29. How long do I need keep the lids on the ones I see sprouts?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Until it warms up.
    If its nice out and warm enough you can take the lids off. But if its going to be cold better put them back on. Yous will be topless long before ours up here in the northern part of the state.

Once they have several sets of leaves you can give them very weak fertilizer... not too much or you'll kill them.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOOK HERE!!!!

I potted up one milk jug of swiss chard seedlings:

That's 28 swiss chard seedlings in pots plus about the same amount in the milk jug container.

Aren't they prudy sitting out taking in the sun?

I'm too chicken to plant them out just yet. I'll let them get a bit bigger before I do that. For the night I have the potted up ones tucked away inside one of these (see link below) under the patio cover and closed the lid on the milk jug.

I plan to set them out during the day and only put them away at night if its going to get down below 40 or if a bad storm is expected.
    For tonight I didn't want to stress them too much more since I uprooted them from the container. I'll give weak fertilizer after a day or so.

I saw 2 tomato seedlings pop up and this afternoon planted 20 more containers of perennial seeds. I'm beginning to run out of room to hide them behind bushes.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse

• CLinNorthTexas
    12 years ago

I live NW of Denton, and have a question or two...I just found a box of heirloom seeds a Friend sent me a couple of years ago that he marked, placed in sealed bags and I'm not sure if they're still good or how to plant them. The list is:
    Brandywine Tomatos
    Sugarbaby Watermelon
    Cucumber pickling 2009
    Lettuce OG 2009
    Radish crop 2009
    Dill for pickles
    Black Russian crop 2009
    Red, Orange sweet bell peppers Feb,1, 2010
    Onions (green) crop 2009 OG
    Thai basil crop 2009
    Banana peppers crop 2009 OG
    concord grape OG
    Apple custured tree big seed (brown seeds)
    Sugar snap pea 2009
    and what appears to be dried corn, doesn't have a label.
    ....so my question is, what are the chances of any of this being good to use? And if some of it can be started indoors now (in Feb. of 2012) how would I go about starting it? And what should I do with the remainder seeds? Do they really expire? And if so how would you check them to see? Thanks in advance for your time and energies helping this 'greenhorn' :-)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

I would definitely try the seeds - the large ones like the dried corn I'd soak before I planted.

The custard apple isn't hardy here, but I did find instructions on propagating from seed - seems bottom heat is a good thing.

"Seeds remain viable for two to three years if kept dry and protected from weevil and fungi. With 70� F bottom heat, seed will germinate in about 21 days, but will require about 40 days under normal ambient growing conditions."

Here is a link that might be useful: Custard apple from seed

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CLin,

I suspect the seeds are mostly still good if you haven't let them get wet or stored in a hot place. I've had mine in the laundry room, which isn't ideal but they're still good.

I wouldn't start them indoors, too many issues to deal with for me.

I'd start these right now using the Winter Sowing Method.

Brandywine Tomatos
    Lettuce OG 2009
    Radish crop 2009
    Dill for pickles
    Black Russian crop (is this a tomato?)
    Onions (green) crop 2009 OG
    Apple custured tree big seed (brown seeds)

These I'd direct sow right now:

Sugar snap pea 2009

These I'd start winter sowing as soon as you get the above ones done:

Thai basil crop 2009
    Banana peppers crop 2009 OG
    Sugarbaby Watermelon
    Cucumber pickling 2009
    Red, Orange sweet bell peppers

This I do not have a clue when to start.

concord grape OG

If you want to check viability I've read that some people take one or 2 seeds and put them on a damp paper towel. fold the towel in half and slip into a zip lock bag. Be sure to label it. Then tape it in a warm place, or to a window.

If the seeds sprout you can be pretty certain the rest of that same package will. (which is why you label them so you'll know which seed is which)

I don't bother testing viability. A lot of the seeds I'm sowing now are about 10 years old.

I sowed 2 milk jugs of swiss chard seed on January 11. I've already divided one of the jugs and got 28 little plants. Much more than I need for myself.

I sowed tomatoes on 1/29 and almost all of them sprouted last week.
    I have lots of other sprouts of other plants doing just fine in their little mini green houses.

Check out the Winter Sowing links from the beginning of this thread and feel free to ask questions here or over in the winter sowing forum.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I'd post these photos of my indoor potting set up. I took one of those under-the-bed containers and set it on the kitchen counter. It helps to contain the mess and makes clean up much easier. When I'm finished I put the mess back out on the porch. This sure makes it less of a chore to clean up afterwards. This photo was taken when I was busy taking the swiss chard seedlings from the milk jug and putting them in little pots:

{{gwi:365525}}

So I'm busy working away, head down and being very careful of the little roots, I've tuned out everything else going on around me.. I'm in my own little world.. working with a fork to separate the sproutlets...when I look up and see:

{{gwi:365526}}

Scared me to death!!! How'd he get up there?

Ahh.. he was feeling left out and wanted to see what I was doing.

{{gwi:365527}}

Here's an experiment with a larger container. It holds lots of little pots. I took 2 under the bed containers and melted holes in the top and bottom. (I threw the lids away) Then I put a few holes along the sides so I could use pipe cleaners to tie them together.
    {{gwi:365528}}

{{gwi:365529}}

It worked! See? I have little sprouts of blanket flowers!
    they are tiny.. perhaps you can't see them.. but they're there!
    {{gwi:365530}}