Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tshcd

paloverde/retama?

tshcd
14 years ago

I am wanting to buy one of these, but I can't find it anywhere. Some nursery employee actually told me to go dig one up from the side of the road somewhere, but with my luck, I would get into trouble with the state doing so.

So, anybody know where I can buy one? Or does anyone have one I can buy?

Comments (14)

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

We have a retama here in 8b and it is doing well. I'll check to see if it has seeds, and if so, will let you know. I can send seeds to you--ours grew from seed to 8' in three years. They are so pretty when they bloom!

• tshcd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops...I'm in 8b, I just haven't corrected my profile until now. Okay, it's fixed.

Marlingardener, seeds would be great, especially if I can't find a plant. =)

• knittlin
    14 years ago

Are you anywhere near Austin, Patriotizm? We sell them at the Natural Gardener. We just got a few (three or four) nice looking BIG ones Thursday (eight or ten feet tall). If you're near you really should call asap since they go quick. I know atleast one is likely already gone to a woman on our request list and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the rest are already gone, so definitely call before you drive out there so you don't make a trip for nothing.

You know they have nasty thorns, right? I found that out when I backed into one putting labels on the pots. *snicker*

• tshcd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, wow. I'm in San Antonio. If my schedule were a little more free I would consider driving up for one, but I don't think I can work it in anytime soon. Thanks for the tip, though!

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

They grow in the wild along roadsides everywhere in Colorado and Fayette counties, and probably surrounding counties also.

I'm sure they'd be easy to dig up now with rain finally saturating the area.

Kt

• justintx
    14 years ago

If you're around San Marcos, Madrone may have some. I got one from him a few years ago. Grew very fast, but died back up here in 7B winter. Came back from ground and survived last winter. I agree - blooms are great and neat texture with the rest of the landscape. (and the kids WON'T run through that one - more than once) LOL

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I have some seed that I can mail you if you can't find a tree. You can get a hold of me through my page.- Mara

• texicannative
    14 years ago

We have retamas in 1 and 5 gallon sizes.
    All we sale are natives.
    Ours are from local source and more cold tolerante than most.
    You can contact me at texican@zipnet.us for a map and price list.
    Steve & Valorie Lewis
    Native Ornamentals
    Mertzon, Texas

• HillCntryGrdnr
    12 years ago

The Desert Museum Palo Verde is available locally in San Antonio at Rainbow Gardens Nursery on Thousand Oaks Drive. This great nursery has all kinds of native plants and knowledgeable staff as well.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Can't find Palo verde 'Desert Museum' in San Antonio right now. Rainbow Gardens said their supplier doesn't have any. Got the same story at Lowes who had them in 2013.

The Palo Verde "DESERT MUSEUM" cultivar is the one I want. It's the only one that's thornless AND has green bark all year, plus it grows more upright according what I read. Fanick's has a grafted thornless retama tree, but it doesn't have green bark. Milberger says they have it, but theirs has thorns.

Why would a tree be widely available and then the next year there be zilch?

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting facts about 'Desert Museum' palo verde ...

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

That sweet lady at Cross plants said she will order anything on her that is on her list from suppliers
    As much as I would dislike going a few miles down the road to a plant nursery, I guess I could do that for you Ragna, drats

• carrie751
    9 years ago

You mean to tell me you would go to ALL that trouble as much as you hate going to nurseries?? What a gal !!!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Jolana, fully realizing how unpleasant visiting plant nurseries are for you (yeah -- right :-) I'm very grateful for you being willing to go a few blocks to Cross Plants ... LOL.

I've emailed them. I'm hoping that somebody somewhere has a forgotten 'Desert Museum' variety of Palo Verde sitting off in a corner somewhere. Ya' think?

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:05

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I know, right Carrie, the sacrifices you make for friends, lol
    Boy, I just can't keep going to nurseries like that, LOL

Ragna, she said she would check and email if she finds one
    I am thinking that they might appear later. I have been told by a couple of people that some things might not come in till July, Mexican bird of paradise for example