Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Larkspur

Posted by random_harvest z8 TX DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 13:56

When do y'all sow your larkspur? Now? Later?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Larkspur

I usually sow mine in November, but I have waited till late winter. Seem to perform about the same - maybe bloom earlier when I sow in fall.

o

Mine have self sow, since the '90's. This year our yard man pulled up my plants, so I will need to buy seeds. I will put mine down around the end of this month. That is when nature usually did it for me. Barbra

o

I love flowers that plant themselves, but my larkspur tend to fizzle out after a few years and then I need to start over with fresh ones from seed to improve their attitude. Late October planting in zone 9 would correspond nicely to November planting up here in zone 8 Dallas. Think that's what I'll do. But this great weather just has me itching to plant something NOW.

o

mine have come back for a number of years...I love that fascinating foliage that comes up in the fall and spring. That said, I would sow now but not hesitate to sow as late as January if you forget.

BTW where did you find your seeds?

I planted my anemones last week and thought of you.

o

Hey, I planted anemones today & thought of you!

I got a packet of blue shades only at NorthHaven Gardens, $1.89, packaged by an outfit called Botanical Interests, Inc. Whatever happened to the racks of Burpee seeds at the grocery store?

o

It is starting to look like many of the grocery and box stores are cutting back on seeds each year, we may end up some time soon having to go to a nursery or buy by mail.
Paul

o

will any kind of larkspur grow here? or do you try to grow the 'prairie' variety?

o

I've always grown whatever came to hand, always with good results. What's the 'prairie' variety?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here