Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_abbott

diseased confederate rose

Ellen-Abbott
10 years ago

I have (had) two large beautiful confederate rose bushes side by side. About 3 years ago, one of them became infested with white fly which I treated with insecticidal soap. The next year, the one that had had white fly became infected with something that caused stunted growth, stunted leaf formation making them very small and pebbly looking. I cut those branches to the ground and new growth came up fine. The next year it came up totally infected and spread to the other one. They still bloomed beautifully but this year both bushes came up completely infested and stunted. I cut them both back to the ground early summer. The new growth again came up totally infected and stunted and only grew about 18" with tiny leaves that would fall off. September I cut it all back again and the new sprouts are doing the same. None of the mater gardeners around here have a clue. One of the told me aphids but it's not aphids as there have never been any on the plants. Someone else suggested nematodes but I can't find any info on if confederate rose is susceptible or not. I have a volunteer that came up last year and this year it is big and beautiful about 10' away from the infected pair. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida