Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

A big pink mallow that never stops ...

For years and years I have admired and marveled about pink mallow all by its lonesome at a church/bus stop near my home. It was always blooming even in the severe drought and came back every year no matter how prolonged the freeze in winter. With no other landscaping around it I doubted that it was on a sprinkler system so how did it keep going and going and going?

Well, I finally took my camera over to take a picture and found out I was wrong. There is a sprinkler head at its feet ...

None the less you have to give it credit for providing beautiful leaves and flowers almost every day of the year while out in the full hot sun plus the heat reflected off the pavement ...

One could do well with a hedge of this mallow. Anybody recognize it and know its name?

Comments (11)

• ruthz
    10 years ago

The leaves looks like Confederate Rose. I've never had the single flower one, but maybe this is it.
    Hibiscus mutabulis 'Rubra'

If so, it should have seeds later, and if someone was walking past, the seeds could fall into their pocket.
    And then, they could share them.

Actually just looked up Rubra and it doesn't produce seeds. Darn.

This post was edited by ruthz on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 21:33

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ruthz, the leaves and flowers look exactly like the pictures of Hibiscus mutabulis 'Rubra' on line! Thank you.

Also I looked for seeds and was surprised to find that the four little green leaves enclosing the area left from where the flowers had been were empty of seeds.

Seeing the photos of the Confederate rose that Plantmaven Kathy recently posted on the gallery made me remember how easily this type of hibiscus roots from cuttings. When cuttings are placed in a glass of water little roots come out all along the stems.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Yes they do root easily in water.
    I've had the double pink one but lost to drought or something years ago.
    I still have the double white to pink, but it only blooms in the fall. It has buds now but no flowers yet.

If you can get cuttings of that one, I would love to have one.
    For the past few years I've had Lord Baltimore, Luna Pink and Luna Swirl and a couple of others and I lose them one by one. I'd love to have something that lives and blooms more than just in the fall.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, when I see a car at the church I'll ask them for a couple of cuttings. Or maybe before the first freeze I'll get some since it will freeze to the ground anyway unless it's a very warm winter.

I've had Lord Baltimore (below) for years and it blooms all summer into fall. I had a big light pink one way back when, but lost it somehow.

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

roselee- This is so off topic and weird and random but those cages in the background are so cool lookin'! What do you use them for?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

About 30 years ago a flea market vender had the wrought iron cage specially made for me with a solid roof for Indian fantail pigeons. A place in San Antonio called Las Patios had one similar on their grounds and I fell in love with it. Eventually Bob built a much larger wooden one with a flyway for them. You may see it in some of my garden photos.

We raised fan tails for 25 years, but stopped a few years ago. Most of those years they were allowed to fly free, but then unfortunately the hawks moved into the neighborhood and stayed year round. The Indian fantails were very tame and would let you hold them.

Now I have plants and nicknacks in the two wrought iron cages and made sort of an art gallery in the bigger wooden aviary.

Here's a photo of a couple of pigeons in the wooden aviary ...

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

Oh wow!!! I've never seen pigeons like that up close before, they're lovely! I had also noticed the wooden aviary in the back but wasn't sure what it was exactly. Anyway I had to remark on the cages. The pretty design and blue roof caught my eye and stand out in your garden beautifully. I would love to find a few old vintage ones to use as planters.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Old Mexican wrought iron bird cages of all sizes are out there. Yeya's in San Antonio gets them in quite often. I've also seen them at thrift shops and yard sales. Keep your eye out and you will find them. Happy hunting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yeya's Antiques and Oddities in San Antonio ...

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

Awesome, thank you!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I received at email from Mary on the subject of hibiscus but I can't reply. Our pages must be edited to allow people to reply when they are sent through Garden Web. We also have to set it up so people can email us through GW. I didn't know that until someone told me.

Incidentally, I meant to mention that like Hibiscus mutabulis 'Rubra' H. Lord Balimore doesn't produce seeds. I'm going to try putting some cuttings in water and see if they root.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

I do know that the Confederate Rose hibiscus does very well started in only water. My first try was in milk containers that sat against the wall of our home for about 5 months and they produced long roots that resembled a rag mop. I have also use cuttings as make shift tomato cages and about one third rooted even after lying around for a few weeks. They were used as an after thought or I would have put them into the soil much sooner and would have most likely ended up with all or almost all sprouting and blooming that year. Nothing beats a try, lessons learned make us better gardeners if we will only pay attention. Thank you for the beautiful post.]
    Paul