Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Black Diamond" Crape myrle

Posted by xtal z8b Temple. TX (cifisher@vvm.com) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 14:29

Just saw the "Black Diamond" crape myrtle at Home Depot. WOW! Black leaves. It's breathtaking. Stop by and take a look if you can. It will make you weak in the knees.

Xtal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Black Diamond" Crape myrle

Wow -- that's really beautiful! Love that dark foliage. I bet it's going to be very popular.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crape Myrtle Black Diamond

o

It won't be "rare" for long.

o

My next door neighbor planted 2 about 3 weeks ago. Can't wait to see if the leaves stay dark. Wonder how long they trialed it before they put it on the market.

o

It might be worthwhile to do some homework on that question Debndal. My guess is that black they'll stay.

In Temple at the Home Depot is where I found an entire display. While it might not be 'rare' for long, there's no doubt that it will take a while before you'll see them all over the market.

Worth seeing in person. You might even call your local HD to see if they have any. LMK whachathink after you see them.

Xtal

o

It might be worthwhile to do some homework on that question Debndal. My guess is that black they'll stay.

In Temple at the Home Depot is where I found an entire display. While it might not be 'rare' for long, there's no doubt that it will take a while before you'll see them all over the market.

Worth seeing in person. You might even call your local HD to see if they have any. LMK whachathink after you see them.

Xtal

o

I saw them at Calloways in Arlington today. They have stunning foliage.

o

I've gotta have one of these!!!

o

I bought a Black Diamond from Calloway's over the Labor Day weekend. So far it is still looking good as the day I bought it. It has continued to bloom without so much as a whimper from transplanting. I've even neglected the traditional watering regimen for the first month (only once a week or more dousing).

As mentioned above, I only had to put my eyes on it once before I became week-kneed enough to put my previous planned purchase back on the shelf. For the roecord, my wife abundantly approved and has been swooning since the purchase date.

o

My goodness, with all this weak-kneed swooning going on I'll have to make an effort to see one -- right after pay day ;-)

o

GrackleNDirt,
Judging by the few blooms that I saw on them in the pot, they must be late summer bloomers. Wouldn't you agree?

Even though I began the posting, this might force me to go get one. It will be a long while before you see many around town.
Xtal

o

we've been noticing them too...don't need one right now but I am sure tempted!

o

The card said they bloom all season like the more common crapes. I am anxious to see what happens when the black (deep purple, really) leaves come off for the winter. I wonder if they change color or go brown or stay blackish?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here