Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Calendula from seeds

cynthianovak
10 years ago

Hi All
I started seeds twice in those obviously too small peat pellet things from Lowes. I got some sprouts, but then lost them to what I assume was too much heat.

I have another package. Any suggestions? I might slip a few seeds into leftover pellet pots, BUT this time, once they sprout, I'll put them immediately into 4-inch pots filled with potting soil and put in the sun.

Any thoughts or suggestions? thank you cynthia

Comments (10)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I grabbed some Calendula seed off of a friends plant and I just put them in a large pot of rich garden dirt in part shade with a bit of sun and they have been re-sprouting in that pot for 4 years. They are growing and blooming right now. I never did anything special. They are easier. I have also grown them in the vegetable garden.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    I'll sprinkle them in a pot. Maybe the little pellet things are the problem. I wanted to be able to transplant them when they get bigger, but I think I'll follow your success.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have dug them out of the pot and moved them on accassion successfully. There is always doing it in a 4" pot. I have never used the pellets to start seeds .

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you. I have 4 inch pots, just need to get some potting soil and will mix it with garden soil. I love these but hate spending $7 for 1 like last year. smiles c

• greentiger87
    10 years ago

I start mine from seed indoors in compost. Put them out into larger pots in the shade as soon as I feel a nip in the air. Once daily highs are consistently below 90, I put them in at least part sun. They transplant really well. I've found if you try to start them outdoors, they often don't get big enough before the cold and wind stunts them. They'll bloom very early in the spring though, if they survive.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

When I lived on the Texas Coast they grew like weeds there in partial shade, but then everything grew well there. Now I live in the Houston Area and they were easy to start from seed planted large pots but they grew long vine-like and died. So it is not the heat but could be the soil. Both areas they grew in partial shade.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I start mine in the shade. They come up by themselves.Then I move them out.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are the Best! I got some potting soil and I am planting some in 4 inch pots and other places. In the past I end up buying some in Feb and planting in full sun this year I know better thanks to you!

• ibheri
    10 years ago

I tried these out as part of winter sowing. They came out very well and came back the second year. I sowed mine in Jan.

• cal_mario
    10 years ago

I started my Calendula seeds about 3 1/2 weeks ago.I moisten the seeds in a paper towel and kept them in my refrig for about 10 days to give them a good chill,here in Central California its just too hot until about late September and the seeds need the cold to get a good germination, so far so good some are about 1 inch,I lightly covered them after planting.