Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Honeybunny look...............

plantmaven
12 years ago

The mexican bird of paradise is blooming. It froze back to the ground last winter. I thought it was gone. It took months to come back.

Thanks again.

Comments (9)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Kathy, thats looks like a candlestick tree! If you want a yellow bird of paradise, I will bring you one from the coast when I go back. If anyone else wants one just let me know. I did not bring any this year, because they are just starting to come back from seed. They are coming up everywhere in the herb garden. Barbra

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is not a candelabra tree. I grew up with those in the Rio Grande Valley.
    It has small leaves, not the long like candlestick tree.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Ok, Kathy I may be wrong, but I do have two of these that I am bringing to the plant swap. I think both are in bloom, they have the same bloom and leaves as what you show. We will have to ask our plant expert Patty. As you know I do not know half of the names of my plants. Patty has taught me some names over the years. I do not even label my dayliles, which drive Patty crazy. Barbra

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Whatever it is it's really pretty. I want more yellow in my garden but that seems to be too sensitive to cold for here.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I think it's called Mexican Bird of Paradise, or Mexican Poinciana, officially known as Caesalpinia mexicana. It grows very easily from seed and grows very fast. I still have it coming up after cutting the tree down three or four years ago. Some winters it freezes to the ground and comes back from the roots.

I could get some seed from my neighbor Georgianne if anybody wants some.

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

The plant appears to be Mexican Bird of Paradise to me. Mine does not grow upright because of the constant blowing of wind, but otherwise the two are very similar.

Ty

• jardineratx
    12 years ago

Yes, that is a Mexican Bird of Paradise. I grew mine from seed several years ago and was pleasantly surprised to find that it blooms from spring to frost. Mine is planted at the end of our driveway (by the street) where only the toughest plants survive the heat and cold exposure that site provides.
    Molly

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Barbra gave it to me when it was about 8" tall. When we planted things here it was November 07 and the sun angle had changed. Subsequently it was planted in too much shade. It had buds several times this season, but the winds knocked them off.
    Some years we have few freezes and it does not freeze back as bad as last year.

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

Hi there my Mexican bird of paradise pride of barbedos blooms slightly different she is yellow with red strings coming out of the center of the flower, the leaves on that srub bush tree are more ferny sort of like the leaves from a mimosa my baby comes back every year the drought does not seem to be a problem either very easy to sprout from seed. If someone wants some seeds let me know I have seeds for that one. Marcie

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County