Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piffy_gw

Star Jasmine on Porch Trellis

piffy
13 years ago

Hi guys, I'm hoping you all can help me out with the problems I've been having with our Jasmine. We wanted to have a bit more privacy and a pretty wall of flowers, so we put up a trellis on our porch posts and put in some Star Jasmine. It was looking extremely unruly last year so I did a vigorous pruning after it finished blooming but it still grew back extremely leggy and looks really bad from the inside and side of the porch, and we seem to be getting very few flowers.

I posted some pictures in the hopes that someone will have some ideas on what we can do to tame this wild beast and make it at least look good.

Thank you so much for any help/tips/ideas y'all have :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Jasmine on Porch Trellis

Comments (7)

• jamiecrouse
    13 years ago

I don't really have any suggestions, except to say that your jasmine looks just like mine. I think that is pretty much its normal growth habit. And mine only blooms for several weeks in the spring. Some years are heavier bloomers than others. Maybe others will have suggestions that I could learn from as well.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

A county ag agent once told me that a vine will look best on the side of the trellis /fence it is not planted on.

I have definitely found this to be the case.

You might try planting on the inside of the trellis if possible. Maybe a couple pots on the porch.

• whitecap
    13 years ago

I had one like this for several years, until I got tired of messing with it. It just didn't want to put out any foliage except at the top. It only bloomed for maybe 3 weeks in late spring. You can fill in some bare spots by attaching runners with garden ties, but it's a losing battle. If you're getting enough light, Halls Honeysuckle might give better results.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

You've got some real healthy plants there! I especially like the fact that Star Jasmines are evergreen.

If it were mine I would stick some of poking out pieces back through the lattice and about once a month shear the others. I believe the vine will eventually thicken. This is what I did to the one I have on the fence and it became a thick wall of green.

Yes, it blooms only in the spring but such a sweet scent that fills the yard is worth waiting for. It seems like mine blooms for six weeks or more. They probably bloom more when they get plenty of sun.

• random_harvest
    13 years ago

I agree with roselee. I have star jasmine on a chain link fence with a neighbor's sidewalk on the other side, so I have to keep that side flat. I poke and trim as roselee recommends, and it's well on its way to being a green wall.

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

I think it looks great! Might need a little trim, but otherwise, that is what it is supposed to look like. And yes, they don't bloom all year long. But they are evergreen. I planted one on a wrought iron fence this spring. I can't wait for it to look like yours!

• piffy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I have to admit that I have been slacking on weaving the runners back through the lattice this year. It has just felt like an uphill battle trying to control this wild beast, and I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or whether this is how it was always going to end up looking. I will keep poking the long runners back through the lattice and hope that it thickens up nicely into a green wall eventually.
    Thank you again so much :)