Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (19)

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

I have quit posting because I have to log on every time I come to the site, even if I was just here 10 minutes ago. I reported this through the "Contact Us" page but got no response.

Jim

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Not quite that often for me, Jim, but I do have to log in quite often................maddening, isn't it????

• melvalena
    11 years ago

I wish that each time I open a thread it would jump to the first post I haven't read yet.
    My finger gets sore from all the scrolling.

I have to long in from time to time.. not sure why.. I could be reading and posting then suddenly I have to log in again.
    I never left the site but have to re log in????

Of course it never remembers me or my password even though I click for it to.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

the frequent logins bug me too.

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

1. My zone defaults to 10, even though I don't live in zone 10.
    2. I agree with the logging in issue.
    3. The upload pictures feature is great! Now please allow more than one upload per post.
    4. How about allowing short video uploads too.
    5. If there are only words in your post (no pics, links, html, etc.) please let us post without the review step!
    6. The ads on the side are fine, but the ones that pop up and run across the screen and the ones that get big at the top then shrink are a pain. Can you make the ads less intrusive?

This is a great site. Thanks for maintaining it!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

It's very weird not to speak of disconcerting when I'm in the middle of writing a post to have a political ad come on and bump me off when I click to review what I've written. Thankfully a paint advertisment that won't X off seems to have run its course.

Otherwise, thanks for a great site!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

The paint pop up is still there and it won't X out. I have to refresh the page to make it go away which takes more time than I'm willing to spend most days. It makes me want to be sure I don't ever buy that brand of paint, which is not the goal of the advertisement I'm sure.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

About the paint pop up, not only does it not X out, but the links on the ad to 'sign up now' don't work so the purpose is lost. Does anybody else get the Sherwin-Williams paint pop up???

• melvalena
    11 years ago

I don't get any pop ups at all.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• melvalena
    11 years ago

gwAnnouncements,

I've looked but don't see the post editing feature.

Thank you for making changes and updates to how the forums work.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Go to a post you've made since the installation of this new feature, look underneath 'Clippings' and you'll see 'NEW Edit Post' in smaller letters. I just edited this post to add "since the installation of this new feature" and it worked. I noticed that you can't edit an old post.

Another nice feature that I've noticed is that when you X out a link within a post instead of going off the site as before you are taken back to the post.

These changes are much appreciated. Thank you.

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 13:10

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Ahh.. I was trying to edit spelling an earlier post. No wonder it didn't work.
    Thanks roselee!

I see it now! :)

This post was edited by melvalena on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 17:14

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Thank you for the improved process of posting photos. I use to have to browse twice, once when I placed the photo on then did the preview as it would go away. As for the signing in my computer takes care of this problem. Only have to sign in if I use a different web search engine. Either members need to do a short post when they send request by email or there needs to be a way we can find that member. When I post wants or haves some send emails which say check my list and leave their user ID. It does look like I need to find out how to edit any of my earlier post. Thank you for all your efforts I love this site and have received some nice seeds and plants from many kind gardeners. I do have one request if possible, could there be a way for members when they send an email for the one who receives that email to go to that members site say to view their want-have list?

• treenutt
    11 years ago

After a member signs in, they can go to their favorites, or top ten forums, etc.

• kingtutt
    11 years ago

Would be great to search and filter by date.
    Also, it might be nice to have a section within the state for major cities such as TEXAS, then Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, Wichta Falls, McAllen, etc.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

I have quit posting because I have to log on every time I come to the site, even if I was just here 10 minutes ago. I reported this through the "Contact Us" page but got no response.
    Jim

Nothing has changed for me, still have to log on each and every time I come to the site, if I wish to comment.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Jim, I do have to log in after I use the CCleaner, which is pretty often, but not everytime I come to the site. I wonder if it could be something about how your computer is set to handle cookies?

Question for the administration: How would you advise Jim to address this problem?

Are other members having to log in repeatedly?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I did before the "new and improved" GW, but now, not as often. It was very frustrating, and I can certainly relate to the way Jim feels about having to log in so often. I hope GW can fix it because I really missed having Jim post.