Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Monarchs traveling through West Texas ...

I haven't seen but a few Monarchs in my yard this fall so I especially enjoyed the two short videos in this blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarchs on The Grackle Blog, Oct. 13, 2011

Comments (8)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I have had a goodly number for over a week now. And even though the blue mist flower can be a pain sometime, the Monarchs love it, and I did not know that. There were over a dozen on the largest one yesterday.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

They showed up in large numbers at my house about 2 weeks ago.. the last time I actually saw a hummer.

I've had them here all summer but not in the numbers that are here now.

Greg's blue mist is great for attracting lots of butterflies in my yard.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

OH, I knew it was a butterfly attractant, Mel, just did not know the Monarchs liked it so much.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

/thud

I didn't know I knew something you didn't know Carrie! :)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Ha, now you do know.............LOL>

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

Color me green with envy! Wish there was a park somewhere in my area that gets that many Monarchs during migration! Actually, I saw a single Monarch on my place yesterday. But as far as I know, that one and the one earlier that laid some eggs on my milkweed are the only ones that have come by.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

My milkweed is mostly in the donkey pen and there is not as much of it this year. This is probably why I have been able to see them on the Blue Mist flower as I seldom see them when they feed only on the milkweek.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Roselee, that blog is really pretty nice...

Aren't we all garden stalkers? :)

In fact just today a neighbor down the street was having a garage sale. I've always want to see her back yard. They have an iron gate you can see a small sliver of the yard though when you stop at the stop sign. Yep.. I just did it!

I walked up, introduced myself and told them where I lived. Then asked if she'd give me a tour of her back yard. She was more than happy to, all the while telling me how awful it is due to the bad summer we've had.
    It was lovely and I could tell she spent time on it but the summer took its toll. I told her everyone's gardens pretty much look the same right now.
    Then I explained about Texas Garden Web and invited her to tour my yard when ever she wanted to.

When I told her all about our plant swaps that perked her up even more. :) She also has a friend who is very interested in joining us here.

Moral of the story: Take a chance.. ask. Gardeners are really nice and friendly.
    We're all garden stalkers deep down. :)