Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armbarangel

Photos of unknown plants at my Fort Worth house.

armbarangel
13 years ago

I just bought a foreclosed house in Fort Worth. I am very much a beginner gardener, and don't recognize most of what is here. I'm from western NY originally, so I'm more likely to recognize plants from there than from here.

I have photos of trees and shrubs mostly, and a few other things as well. I wish I could identify my holly varieties too. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Even the things I did identify, I may have misidentified or miscategorized as tree or shrub.

I'm planning on coming to the October 30 plant swap, so if you see anything you're interested in, I'm willing to try to propagate it if you tell me how. (I have no experience with propagation, or maybe I should more accurately say that I have no *successful* experience.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Unidentified Shrubs and other plants

Comments (7)

• armbarangel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I guess I can't post links to more than one album in a post?

Here is a link that might be useful: Unidentified Trees

• armbarangel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Third link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollies

• texasflip
    13 years ago

OK, here we go...

weed #1 Smilax, aka greenbriar, a native vine
    shrub #1 Celtis, aka hackberry, a native tree that seeds itself everywhere
    shrub #2 hard to tell, might be cherry laurel, Prunus caroliniana - if the leaves smell like cherries when they are torn, that's it
    vine #1 Cocculus, aka moonseed, a native vine
    shrub #3 Nandina domestica
    shrub #4 is also Nandina
    vine #2 looks like chile pequin, or wild chili pepper, you will know if you touch the opened fruit to your tongue!
    you are right about the lantana
    shrub #5 is hard to tell, but probably Ligustrum sinense, a non-native shrub that pops up everywhere
    shrub #6 looks like a hickory/pecan or maybe black walnut, black walnut has a chambered pith which you can see if you split open a twig
    vine #3 is some kind of morning glory or bindweed
    you're right about the iris and english ivy and mondo grass
    shrub #7 is an elm, maybe winged elm, Ulmus alata
    shrub #8, don't know
    shrub #9 is boxelder, Acer negundo, a native tree
    shrub #10 is another hackberry
    shrub #11 is Abelia
    shrub #12 is Elaeagnus pungens
    shrub #13 is Photinia
    the thing you call poison ivy looks like another boxelder, boxelder always has leaves opposite to eachother on the stem and poison ivy has alternate
    I don't know what the groundcover is, it looks like seedlings of a shrub
    more mondo grass
    shrub #14 is another Photinia
    shrub #15 is another hickory/pecan

• tx_ag_95
    13 years ago

Tree #3 MIGHT be a live oak, but I can't quite tell from the picture.

Tree #5 needs to be cut down ASAP. I'm not sure what it is but I don't think it's something you want and it's definitely in a bad place. You really don't want a tree planted that close to a chain-link fence, it'll wind up growing into and around the fence. I have a hackberry that did that before I bought my house.

The smilax/greenbriar may be a native vine, but it's not something you want to keep. I love native plants, just not this one. It's difficult to kill and I have yet to find a good reason to have it.

Vine #2 does look like a chile pequin, which is more of a small bush, like a regular pepper plant. You can use the peppers, just keep in mind that they are very hot.

Good luck cleaning up your yard! It looks like you have a busy fall/winter ahead of you.

• armbarangel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are beyond awesome, texasflip!!! I've been using your list to do some research into these different types. You've saved me a year of wondering what to expect from each unknown species. I can now start developing an overall gardening plan for my property, and am better able to decide what to keep and what to replace.

Since I bought the place, the largest Photinia turned completely brown and looks dead, so now I've figured out it might be fungus not drought. Better get me some antifungal stuff for it... I have a lot of Photinias, so I'm thrilled to find out they are a flowering shrub.

I just read how big hackberries can get, and I don't want full size trees right up on my fence or under my soffits, where they are currently. Therefore, I'll be giving them the boot. It also makes me realize that even though it's so much taller, tree #5 is probably also a hackberry.

Not enamored of the Nandina; I'll have enough red berries with the pyracantha, and no flowering to look forward to. I have them by my garage and around 2 bedroom windows. I'd prefer thorny things near the bedrooms, and taller things to draw attention away from my electric meter and circuit box. They look decent though, so as I find other things to put in my flowerbeds, I'll probably move the ones by the bedrooms to a rental property which could use some more shrubbery.

The name "Box Elder" rang a bell; that is what the house inspector told me tree #4 is. If so-called shrub #9 is going to get the size of tree #4, I'll want to move or cut that out too.

• peppersprout1979
    13 years ago

I think that when I leave my yard unattended for a while, I get most of those plants. Ha!

weed #1 - weed vine, not too invasive. Grows where poison ivy grows.

Shrub #1 - weed tree, invasive

vine #1 - very pretty, don't know the name of it

Shrub #3 and 4 - nandina - Very invasive! Birds eat the berrys and leave droppings everywhere and this is how the seed is spread. I'm forever pulling it from my garden. Get rid of it!

Lantana - very pretty, native, attracts tons of butterflies, drought tolerant, almost zero maintenance and can be trimmed to more of a hedge.

Shrub #9 - KILL!!! Poison Ivy!!! Make no mistake about it. Yikes.

Shrub #11 - a type of honeysuckle, smells great, attracts bees, leave it bee!!

Shrub #13 - photinia - pretty low maintenance, we have them lining our backyard and they make a solid, very thick, 10 ft. tall hedge. The flowers smell like death and decay, otherwise not a problem.

Shrub #15 - pecan. I'd let the crape myrtle win in that battle.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Read up on the dangers of Poison Ivy. It creates toxic smoke if burned and some people are so allergic it puts them in the hospital.