Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Poppy Seeds

cynthianovak
12 years ago

Hey All

I called Penzey's Spice co. and asked about their blue or Bread poppy seeds. They are really fresh: packaged this May or June and a great deal at $7.90 for a pound or $2.65 for a 1/4 cup. I told the Customer service person what I planned to do.

Believe it of not, she told her manager and he said that they might not grow because they are treated in some way to make them safe from bacteria. They aren't just shaken out of the pod.

Wanted to pass this along. How nice they were to check on the freshness and to call me back to alert me.

There is a Penzey's here in ARlington, now, but I've gotten their catalogs for years and often give spices as gifts.

OK back to the drawing board. Looking for something tall and stunning that will bloom along the back fence before the tithonia and moon flowers get going. Any ideas?

c

Comments (11)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I've read about poppy seeds for baking being treated so they won't sprout. BUT I've also read that people have planted them anyway and they grew! So who knows? I bought a bunch of containers at walmart and plan to sow them and see what happens.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

Speaking of poppies
    My friend who was growing flowers for the florist trade was given poppy seed to plant.

She became worried that it might not be legal, so she phoned someone in the state government, attorney general's office I think. She was told that it was okay for the floral business.

What type of poppy seed are you interested in? Opium? California? Other?

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll probably buy some and try it.

I'm looking for the tall opium poppies. I'm sure some seed source has them. The customer service rep at Penzey's suggested Jung seeds.

c

• Bamaw
    12 years ago

Hi yall,

I'm just getting acquainted with the winter sowing forums and the Texas gardening forum. I'm all excited about winter sowing - this will be the first time for me - can hardly wait!! Today, my husband and I went to Home Depot and they had a bunch of seed packets at $1.00 ea. I bought 2 different poppy seeds: a pizzacato mix and a red one, plus a CA poppy; plus about 10 other flowers!

I have a question, though - I was checking the wintersowing.org database for zone 7 and many (if not most) of the plantings they showed were for Feb or Mar or later. Isn't that a little late for winter sowing? I would have thought that winter sowing would start in Nov and continue thru Dec, Jan, and Feb. Those are what I consider the winter months. March is when it starts to really warm up! Those of you that have had experience in wintersowing please enlighten me, ok?

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'd be nervous growing opium poppies. I lot of folks coming back from the Middle East now know what they look like. (Especially Afganistan). Then again, if you aren't actively harvesting opium they most they will do is confiscate the flowers and give you a lecture.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Bamaw,
    I start my winter sowing after I have Christmas packed up.
    But if I had time in Dec I'd start some things then.
    We have some mighty nice days in Dec, and some in Jan too.
    Feb is the worst. March isn't a whole lot better.

I wouldn't start anything in Nov unless it was something that takes a long time to germinate.

PJ, if you're 'clean' I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you are growing lots of other flowers too.
    I plan to sow mine in the back yard and not many people are going to see them anyway.

but if The Law is already after ya, they WILL use those poppies to get ya!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Cynthia,
    I just made a quick round.. both lowe's have already shipped their seed displays back. Home Depot still had theirs. I picked up some oriental, and califronia there. Calloways also had oriental and iceland mixed colors.

Oh and Bamaw, don't pay any attention to the seed packets sowing dates. Those dates are for direct sowing in ground. Winter Sowing is done earlier than that.

I remember hearing/reading some where that poppies don't like being transplanted so they need to be direct sown.

Anyone remember seeing a picture of a fluffy/ruffly pink poppy in the last few days? I thought it was this thread but I was wrong. I can't get it out of my head and think I must purchase those seeds as well!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Its a Peony Poppy!

Marshell's Grain website says they carry it. I may make the trek to the Grapevine Location see. (and see what else they have that I can't live without)

here's a great picture of one from some on line source I know nothing about. I just loved the photo.

you can google search peony poppy and see more photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: pink peony poppy

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

In the Houston area they can be sown by now along with many early blooming annuals.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

The peony poppy looks like a carnation kind of. It's really pretty tho.

• maden_theshade
    12 years ago

That link has a lot of GORGEOUS varieties! I want to try some!!!