Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocosmia question

Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 17:12

I just bought a pot of Crocosmia and would like any info from anyone growing it here. I'm hoping I have a spot with enough sun.
I don't recall seeing it growing here or seeing it for sale before.
I've wanted it for a long time and tried winter sowing seeds this year but nothing came up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocosmia question

No experience yet, but I just ordered 40 bulbs from a Facebook friend in Louisiana or Mississippi. She says to be careful because they can get invasive.

o

Yes, you two, wish I had known you were looking for them. They do tend to get a little invasive. Mine are not doing well as they so desperately need dividing.

o

I've had Lucifer and another smaller one before but they died out. Maybe not enough sun. this year I planted Lucifer bulbs from Costco, got great foliage then it turned brown slowly and I let it die back Hopefully it will grow and bloom and bigger group next year. What is your secret Carrie?
c

o

Same as with my lilac, Cynthia, I ignore them (oh, not by choice, but simply because they are in an area that I don't do much work on) !! I have no idea what the variety is as they were given to me by my niece. Lin has worked to make me a "bulb" person (which I am not), so perhaps they do better with neglect. They do get water from the sprinkler and lots of sun.

o

thanks Carrie
I hope they come back next year. Could be the Costco bulbs were not mature enough to flower.
c

o

I'm not in your area, but thought I would give you an example of what you can expect. I bought 5 crocosmia 'Lucifer' bulbs on EBay in 2005. I have dug and divided them twice, replanting two plantings of 20 bulbs each time, and trading or giving away hundreds of bulbs. Last week I dug them for the third time and I know that I didn't get them all, but I got about 4 gallons of bulbs.

I'm not interested in shipping, but if you live close enough to come get some, I will be happy to share.

Jim

photo 2013-11-09105934_zpsfece78eb.jpg

photo 2013-11-10102718_zpsaf22786a.jpg

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 17:36

OH MY Goodness.
I wonder why I never see any here.
I'm from Georgia, and see them when I go back there.

o

Ruth, I never see them offered for sale here either. The bulb companies do offer them in their catalogs and internet stores.

Jim

o

Wow! Where are you going to plant them?

o

Cynthia, I'm only going to replant 20 bulbs, and I'll put them back where they were, in a bed on the north side of a east/west fence. They have always done good there, and are in full sun from May through October.

Jim

o

Wow! They do multiply don't they? I can't wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here