Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

Roses

ladybugfruit
12 years ago

I should be out pulling weeds on this beautiful day, but alas, lazy has taken over and I am content to surf and daydream. I feel in love with roses when I lived at my last house. I had mutabilis, cecil brunner and several knockouts. Sadly, I had to leave them behind and as I plan ahead for next season, I am eyeballing the roses I would like to add to my new gardens. I am interested to see what ya'll think of my wish list and what your experiences are. My top 5 contenders right now are: mrs. dudley cross, martha gonzales, mrs. b.r. cant, francis dubreuil, and carefree beauty.

Also, 2 questions.

1) I am curious of anyone that has both mrs. dudley and monsieur tillier (? think I remembered that right) which do you like better? I think I like the mrs. dudley cross doesn't have alot of thorns.

2)Are there any easy carefree lavender colored roses?

Ok, 3 questions, also what's a great climbing white rose? Would love scent, but not a requirement. I am trying to stick to OGR's.

Thanks! :)

LBF

Comments (10)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Ladybug, I have about 40 OGRs in my yard, and not ONE of those that you mention! Have heard great things about Mrs B R Cant.

You may want to post this over on the Antique Rose forum, bet you will get a lot of information!

ogrose

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Hi Ladybug! Preferences in roses is very subjective as I'm sure you know, but since you asked I'll comment.

1)I have both Mrs. Dudley Cross and Mon. Tillier. The monsieur is bullet proof as far as health is concerned, but the roses, while a pretty color, are very small, like quarter size in hot weather. Mrs. Dudley Cross is healthy also and produces beautiful huge roses most of the year. I love that it is thornless and the roses change from light yellow to pinkish as they age.

2)As for healthy lavender roses someone on the rose forum commented that 'good health' and 'lavender rose' should not be used in the same sentence. Most of them are very fragrant, but are subject to black spot.

Mrs. B. R. Cant is VERY healthy and very fragrant; also pumps out roses-roses-roses all season. Just be aware that it gets huge, like 9 ft x 9 ft at maturity and it resents heavy pruning to try and keep it small. However, with judicious pruning you might keep it at about 7 x 7. Besides every cane is covered with buds and you just can not bear to cut them off. So give it room and you will love it. It makes a great cut rose also. It is also very thorny, but with all that it offers who cares :-)

Francis Dubreuil's blooms are extremely fragrant, but it's a small rather weak grower for most people. I've heard that it does better if you can find a grafted one. Plus the flowers burn up in the heat like a lot of red roses. Chrysler Imperial is a very fragrant red rose that you might consider, and is also healthy.

I don't grow Carefree Beauty, but it's a very highly regarded rose for big blooms on a healthy bush.

Personally I like roses with larger flowers than Martha Gonzales produces, but a lot of folks really like it.

3)Sombrueil is a beautiful white climbing rose, very fragrant to my nose and I love how the petals are so perfectly arranged.

You can search the names of thousands of roses on HelpMeFind and see pictures and read comments. And of course you can see hundreds of roses right here in San Antonio at Antique Rose Emporium. They have just finished pruning the roses which are planted in the ground and those should all be blooming well in about 6 or so weeks. Of course, the roses in pots will be blooming nicely in two or three weeks since we're having cooler weather.

Happy rose growing! They are my favorite flower.

Oh and Mutablis is a must have IMHO :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

And if ever there was a rose made for Texas it's Belinda's Dream. It may not officially be an 'old' garden rose, but is usually lumped in with them because of it's shrub like care free habit.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree about Belinda's Dream! A great rose, she blooms non-stop all summer for me here in the Dallas area, disease free, just a wonderful rose for our area!!

I need to get out and lightly prune my roses so they get our great fall flush of bloom; so much to do this time of year, so little time...

• ladybugfruit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you roselee and ogrose!! Love the feedback. OMGOSH, 9x9 for B.R. Cant!!! that's HUGE! I am going to have to think that spot through before planting! :) I have a wonderful 1/3 of an acre to play with, lol, but still thinking my spacing through. Looks like I will have to add Belinda's dream to my list as well. I like the idea of non stop blooms. Yup, gonna do the mutabilis again too! I had it in clay at the last house so it was a slower grower with not as many blooms as I would have liked, but it's a whole nother game here as I have more of a sandy loam here (although more sandy I am learning).
    Kinda bummed about the lavender roses, but I am not into high maintenance, so I will have to find other purple accents to play with. I have nepta growing under my red knockouts now and it does give a nice contract.
    Do you think it would be okay to plant any of these this fall? I know I can probably find Belinda's Dream pretty easily and maybe Mrs. Dudley...lol, but first I would have to find the time to prep the beds. So many chores to do already with some cooler weather finally!!
    If I could plant now, how late could I do it? of course one of the (YUCK) chores I have to do before any more planting is staining the new fence, I would so rather plant stuff!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

I got my Belinda's Dream from Antique Rose Emporium with great results. I don't know if Chamblee Roses carries it, but bet they do.

This is a great time of year to plant, I'll be planting up until November, not really sure when the cutoff time would be.

Where I live it's rock hard clay, takes lots of amendments to make it "diggable"!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Ladybug, did you see this thread on roses that do well in the heat? Be sure and click on the link that's provided in the first post to a thread on the Antique Rose Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old garden roses that do well in the heat ...

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Chamblee's carries Belinda's Dream - I think they have most of the Earth Kind roses. If you go to Chamblee's during the week, you can chat with one of the owners about what roses do really well here.

Now that I've moved to east Texas, Chamblee's is tantalizingly close :) And I love, love, LOVE the Buck roses!

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Belinda's Dream

• lou_texas
    12 years ago

LadyBugFruit, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Francis Dubreuil, Belinda's Dream, Ducher, Duchess de Brabant as well as her pale sister Madame Joseph Schwartz all do beautifully in my North Texas garden as do others. I've also been impressed with what a lovely shaped shrub Ducher makes, and as you may know, it's the white roses that are standouts at dusk. They seem to glow.

You asked about a climbing white that is fragrant. I'm growing Lamarque (a double) on a tall trellis. He's been a slow starter - slower than I expected - but he seems in the mood to start leaping now. I also have Sally Holmes who is a white climber (if that's what you want her to do). She has been the only one of my 45 roses that kept blooming right through our 2011 long hot summer. Of course, she does get some shade for part of the day. She's not as fragrant as Lamarque but she blooms in huge bunches and is very showy even though she's a single. I've heard it said that thrips don't bother her. She seems very healthy to me.

Don't forget SDLM. She loves Texas as does Maggie. And Valentine isn't an OGR, but she sure blooms non-stop in Texas. Not fragrant though. Just showy.

Yes, this is the best time to plant. I just planted Spice yesterday. So excited about having another rose to glow in the dark.

• ladybugfruit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woot! Got Belinda's Dream today at a local nursery that carries some of Chamblee's roses! Thanks again for the input and suggestions, loving it. Thanks roselee for pointing me to the thread on the antique rose forum too.
    lou, pardon my ignorance, but what is SDLM? ( still learning the rose lingo) I am intrigued by the Sally Holmes...I am looking for a few roses that can take the afternoon shade and still bloom like crazy.
    Are carpet roses as good as they look and are there some low growing ones that will take afternoon shade?
    Ya'll are inspiring me!
    LBF

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz