Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fort Worth Lawn

Posted by jt_gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 17:52

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if Fort Worth gardeners believe it is a good idea to apply a "fall" fertilizer or "turf builder" to the lawn. I have a little lawn in the front of my house that has never been taken care of by anyone who lived here before me, and I would like to see it come back and look nice next year. Is it worth spending the money on these "fall" mixes, or do they not really do anything? If it would be better to save the money for spring fertilizing, I would like to know. The lawn, oddly enough, looks like a combination of both Augustine and Bermuda!

Thanks,
jt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fort Worth Lawn

Yes, you should fertilize in the fall - but I think it may be too late to do it in your area. September is the month in central Texas to apply a good 8-2-4 organic slow release fertilizer. However, any time is good to put down a quarter inch of good compost, so you could do that now and it would be helpful to your lawn.

o

Yes, fall fertilization is probably the most important application for a decent lawn the following year. There is no need to purchase expensive mixes and definitely steer clear of anything with phosphate in it (the middle number) unless you have done a soil test and have a known deficiency. Potassium is nice but not necessary. It is generally considerd to improve stress in regards to tolerating summer heat.

A simple bag of ammonia sulphate (21-0-0) from the feed store will perfom admirably. Put down between 4-5lbs of actual fertilizer per 1000sft of turf. This will give you between 0.8 to a tad over 1lb of actual Nitrogen per 1000sft of truf.

o

Dittos to the fall fertilization. But you should get right on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here