Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

north texas gardeners

carrie751
11 years ago

I am so not ready for a damaging frost tonight, are any of you? Let's pray the wind keeps blowing so the frost cannot form. I will probably lose quite a few plants if it does, indeed, frost heavily. Anyone else in my situation????

Comments (26)

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

Definitely not ready. Fall tomatoes just loaded with fruit!

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I picked about a dozen today that were turning, but did not bother with the green ones.............maybe, just maybe it won't frost !!! If it does, all my garden will be gone as well as a lot of my tropicals.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Then the weather will be nice and warm from now until January. That's what often happens in San Antonio.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

We're supposed to have a frost (or maybe a freeze) tonight and tomorrow night- brrr! I brought in a lot of houseplants yesterday, will do more tonight when I get home from the arboretum - we're having a community day of service to get the gardens in order.

Lin

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it was a "light" frost, but a frost, non the less. I won't check the damage until later in the day when it has time to show.
    You are right, Roselee...............if the plants are put up too early, they suffer from too much heat...sometimes, it is just hard to second guess MN.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Yesterday I watered everything and pulled a few small things up under the covered porch. Might pull some things inside later this afternoon.
    Hope no one lost anything.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just took a "walk around", and see very little damage, thank you, God. I may even get to see my large green tomatoes ripen on the vine if the present forecast continues. Matter of fact, I have a daylily blooming along with my lilac. I don't know if I am confused or they are.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

My daylilies are blooming too or were last week. We thankfully didn't get a frost although Sunday evening we are forecasted to get down to 34. I am just not ready.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think anyone was ready for a frost this early, Pam. Hope everything is okay at your house.

• Christian
    11 years ago

Hi Fellow N. Texas gardeners,

Yeah I was surprised too, since I was counting on at least a couple more weeks before a frost hit us. I'm in Garland.
    Looked at the garden today and I didn't see any damage though. Most of the stuff I have planted now is cool weather stuff, so I have no worries about them (cabbage, collards, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, turnips...
    But I do have some things I will definitely have to cover tonight, with the frost warning tonight and tomorrow:
    some tomato plants, and some pumpkin vines. I still have a few developing pumpkins I hope are able to mature in the next few weeks.
    I also have some pole beans, but I dont see how I am going to be able to cover them, so if we do get a frost, they are goners.
    I also have a couple of acorn squash plants with small squash on them that I will try to save.

But I have mega-tarp, to the rescue. I have the biggest tarp you have ever seen. So I will just lay that down over my entire garden tonight and hope its enough!!

What do you guys cover with? Tarps? or cloth? What's better?

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ccabal, I won't try to cover anything as unfortunately, I have way too much to try to cover. I am just praying tonight won't be any worse, but if it is, there is still nothing I can do about it. Hope your tarp works.......it should !!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I use old sheets and lightweight blankets but have covered the garden with a tarp in the past with good results. We got to 39 this morning after I got up but quickly warmed to a balmy 57 right now. I think that this is just a cool snap and not the end of warm weather. I got a load of tree trimmer shreds (mulch) yesterday and plan to spend the rest of the day spreading some :-)I love free mulch!

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frost again..................did anyone have damage? Anyone have a freeze?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Not me, it only actually got down to 41 here last night, 5 degrees higher than the forecast.

I did bring my desert rose into the garage just in case.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It didn't freeze here either, Pam, but the frost was heavier and I think my garden is toast. I washed the peppers and tomatoes off with water this morning before the sun hit them............may or may not do any good. I haven't walked all over as yet, but first glance seems to be that my plants all are okay

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

My outdoor thermometer read 33 this morning around 6:30, and seemed to be holding there. Things look okay, but since tonight is going to be just as cold I'm going to cross my fingers and pray again...

Lin

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

Mine was 35 this AM but I had houseguests and didn't get out and hose of the maters and they are looking pretty bad right now. I did fine Friday night but last nighta was a differenct story :-(

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

I wasn't worried last night, but I am tonight. Forecast says 24!!!! I brought in most of the pots, but am going to bring them right back out since the 10 day shows a big warm up. Will be sad to see some of my plants go. Not that they were producing much, but I still had hope. Not liking early frost.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

It got to 37 last night. I am throwing towels on some tropicals but most are going to be fine.I am not ready for this so I am doing the head in the sand method of caring for my plants. "denial" is a river in Egypt.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope my forecast is correct at 40 ............haven't seen anything about 24..............that would be frightful.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

hehehe Mara,
    I'll join you in 'denial' :-) 42 at 4:48 am.

Pam

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

40 here at seven ................

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

35 here at 7 AM.Heavy frost. :-(

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

35 here but no frost. dry air.

• Christian
    11 years ago

My stuff pretty much all survived those 2 night. The big tarp plus a few bedsheets saved my pole beans and my pumpkin and tomato vines. My other stuff, including broccoli , cabbage, lettuce, and turnips had no problems whatsoever. I did see some light frost on my car.

WIth the warm weather things are thriving...

check out my blog at:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://cabalgarlandtxgarden.blogspot.com

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I've been too busy to closely inspect everything, but everything (even the tropicals) seem to have made it through the last few weeks of cold nights. I'm glad, because they have to make it until my parents get here this weekend and my father & I can put up the greenhouse and get the potted plants inside! I'll blame/thank the lake (Lewisville), since it's only half a mile from my house.