Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Satsuma's $18 at Lowe's S. A. 10 and Callaghan

There are a lot of large size Satsuma mandarin trees on sale at half price, $18.00, at Lowe's in San Antonio on Callaghan at IH 10. Some even had oranges on them!

Wondering where in this yard I could possibly find a place to plant one. They are said to need protection when the temps go down in the lower 20s, but Antique Rose Emporium has a couple of large ones growing and producing and I doubt they've had any protection.

Don't buy them all before I get back over there, ya heah? ;-)

They also had lots of pansies for .50 cents.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Satsumas

Comments (10)

• carrie751
    14 years ago

This is my first year growing them, Roselee, but it has been so much fun. I have fifteen oranges on mine .... not bad for a first crop in a container !!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know! I've been reading your post about them. :-) It's just that I didn't want to HAVE to bring them inside for the winter. Nine bougainvilleas are enough to carry inside the overwintering house; those and a few other things.

So how many people are going them outside in San Antonio? Report in now please. With our warmer winters I am trying to convince myself they would make it outside.

Anybody hear any predictions about this winter coming up? Seen any wooly bears, etc. LOL

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meant to say how many people are 'GROWING' them in San Antonio, in particular those living on the NW side in the Castle Hills area?

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Just that my native pecan tree has more pecans on it this year than ever before ...... is that not a sign of a severe winter????

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carrie, I hadn't heard that one, but maybe so. My pecan tree had lots of pecans too, but the squirrels tasted everyone of them while still green and then dropped then on the ground. Oh well ...

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Well, I asked people about Lowes and we ...as usual don't have that sale

That is why DH and I do Not like squirrels

I have heard and read it will be a hum dinger of a winter

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Okie Doke...I know where I will be at 10 on wednesday morning. Probably only get like one. Hopefully they're not all gone.

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Hi Carrie, I have one too, and just moved it into the greenhouse last night. Not sure how many oranges I have but it's loaded. This is my first year with satsumas, when do you pick them, anybody know? I'm dying to taste one.

Most of the nuts on my native pecans are still on the trees. The squirrels are doing their best, but with two mutts in the yard all day they can't get to all of them.

I read in the 2009 Almanac that it was going to be a severe winter this year. I have my 2010, but haven't gotten to it yet. I think first frost for us is supposed to be around Nov 10, but I've started bringing things into the greenhouse already. I worked too hard to keep things alive this summer to take a chance losing them now.

By the way, I did get my Satsuma from Lowe's last Spring and got one Improved Meyer lemon and a Mexican lime at the same time. The lemons are nice, but the limes are almost too small to be of any use. I haven't quite figured out what to do with them yet. I don't think I'l get more than a teaspoon of lime juice from one of them.

Cheryl

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Cheryl, read my thread on Citrus Fruit, got lots of good advice from our gardening friends.
    I have already started moving things in as well, but the rain makes it hard for me because I have to "dolly" it across grass, and it is sooooooo wet and boggy right now.
    Weatherman says next week will be sunny, and I will have to "make hay" !!!!

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

I went to the Lowes today to see if there were any more. Not only were there still satsumas for $18 but ponderosa lemons, moro blood oranges, thornless mexican limes, rio red grapefruits,seto, meiwa, owahi and mr. mac tangerines for 18 also! I had to limit myself to a moro blood and an owahi but it was tough.