Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Are your daffodils coming up?

TxMarti
12 years ago

Mine are and I don't know what to do about them, at least the ones out in the yard. I was mowing today and started to just mow them down, but I didn't know if that would keep them from coming up next spring. I guess this drought confused them.

Comments (12)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I don't know if it will affect blooms next year. My clematis is blooming. I'm hoping it won't run out of stored energy over winter!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I have something coming up, I think they are the little daffs.. don't know what to do about them either. Just let nature take her course I guess. They won't listen when I tell them its too early anyway.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Just like the iris we saw blooming on Saturday, Mel, they will do whatever they want. I have mock orange blooming and my lilac is blooming again. My take is to just let them do their thing, and MN will do hers.

• bedford8a
    12 years ago

I have some coming up already, but I'm pretty sure they're paper whites. I know that because I planted them two years ago. Paper whites would always bloom around Thanksgiving when I lived in Atlanta. I also have several other varieties of tiny daffodils like tete-a-tete, and I think they're popping up, too.

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

They come up in the fall and probably will bloom about Christmas. If you plant them in the fall they bloom in the spring.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Wow, interesting! Lilacs in our area, Carrie 751? Tell me more!!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I will email you, ogrose.

• debndal
    12 years ago

Some of my hoop petticoats and some of my Campernelles are coming up already but they are in the garden. They came up early last year but still didn't bloom until about February. The tete a tetes and grand primos are still waiting......

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

My amaryllis are sending up leaves but no blooms so far.

• maden_theshade
    12 years ago

the d@mn skunk ate mine...grrr

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

I have some bulbs coming up too. I just don't know which ones they are. They're in a bed full of bulbs.

What is also weird is that not one of my 6 Indian Hawthornes bloomed this spring, BEFORE they knew we'd have a drought. Two are blooming now! How strange!

• lucas_tx_gw
    12 years ago

Lynnmarie,

I saw some other people saying the Indian Hawthorne's didn't bloom this spring but I think what happened is that buds got frozen off. I went out and looked at mine when I realized they weren't going to bloom and I found all the tiny dried up buds. Mine get water because we water the foundation so I guess weren't as dormant during the summer as a lot of other plants so they don't seem to be trying to bloom but like other people's, my clematis is blooming like crazy right now.

Teri