Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnypenny

plant swap?

ginnypenny
11 years ago

I hate to appear dumb...but guess I am. When ya'll say plant swap, do you mean swap one for one? or some such deal? Or do you mean a plant sale...or is it a combination of both?

Comments (3)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

It's a good question and one that I asked before attending my first swap. You can get an idea of how it's done by reading some of the swap threads on the Exchanges Forum. Yes, we often trade one for one, but it doesn't have to be that way. Sometimes we trade pots, home canned goodies, home sewn things like gardening aprons, cupcakes, or whatever -- for plants

The following excerpt is from a few paragraphs written by Patty (Castrogardener) on one of the swap threads to help new folks understand how it's done:

"Some plants are special or rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

"You may notice above and below this post that people are talking about the plants they have. If you are new to this and wonder what's going on, this is what we call pre-arranged swapping. You can list what you have and others can either post here what they would like from your list or they can contact you by email (if you make sure you add your email to your preferences). You can check their lists to see if you'd like to make a swap. Keep track of each swap and bring the plants to the event for that person, and they will bring what you liked from their list. This is not necessary, of course. You can just bring your plants to the swap and trade in person. But if you pre-arrange swaps, it's kind of like reserving a plant that you really want. If you wait until the swap, someone else may get it before you do. And that can be a bummer !

"Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping many years later !!"

Most of us do some pre-arranged trading and bring boxes of plants labeled with the name of the recipient and we also bring plants to trade on the spot. If we have plants left over after trading we sometimes give them away to whoever wants them.

Most of all it's a very friendly exchange among new friends and old and we go home very happy with our new plants and start thinking about what we can start rooting for the next swap. Most of all we aim to please one another and remember with fondness the ones we traded with everytime we notice their plant or other object in our gardens.

• ginnypenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, that clears it up for me. Now all I have to do is find a swap close to Jacksonville

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

"Now all I have to do is find a swap close to Jacksonville." Or start one yourself. I think it was Kathy (Plantmaven) and Patty (Castrogardener) who started the one here in San Antonio about five or six years ago. They decided to have one, announced it, and people came. Maybe Kathy or Patty will chime in and correct me on the details.