Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingbingo

fig propagation

kingbingo
11 years ago

so the wife just went nuts and cut down half the fig tree. i hate to see all these limbs go to waste. i am familiar with rooting plumeria and am wondering what the procedure is for figs? also, is it too late in the year to do so? if i cut the limbs into cuttings, can i store them in a cool dark place and them root them in the spring? thanks!

Comments (3)

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    11 years ago

Let me make sure that I got this right... and you ARE still married to her?

I take it that she doesn't like fig preserves or strawberry fig preserves? Time to convert her. I'm having to leave a 100 yr old fig tree that's got to be 40'+ across and it's killing me.

This IS the perfect time of year to take cuttings. The weather is getting cooler. I'd root as many as you can and save a few for next Spring. Do your own test. But, Fall would be an ideal time to me. Maybe others have some more suggestions.

Get out the rooting hormone and get to it.
    Xtal

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Google "rooting figs" and you will get a huge amount of hits. One can keep them in the refrigerator till spring also or so they say. Many different methods of rooting.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

The Fig Forum here on GW has some good tips.

One method mentioned in the link below is to bury the branch lengthwise about 1" deep. I did this with some cuttings and they came up long after I forgot about them!

I may need to do this again since the gophers are chewing the roots and stems of my figs...

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy fig propagartion.