Just wanted to show you a bit of what Ill be working on

Comments (48)

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here ya'll go

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Is this that huge type of 'Voodoo lily' that produces the largest flower in the world? How exciting! I have one of the smaller varieties blooming right now. It got mixed up from the drought last year. It's beautiful in a weird sort of way -- perfect for Halloween ... LOL

• castro_gardener
    11 years ago

Cool, Joey ! I've always thought we needed one around here somewhere.

We'll miss you at the swap. Don't they know how important this is ???!!! I can't believe they would deny a plant person the chance to get more plants. Unbelievable !

patty

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well they had a mandatory work day tomorrow because of Garden by Moonlight so oh well. However April looks OK so hopefully ill see.y'all then

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    11 years ago

It was a pleasure to see your voodoo bulb in bloom Rosalee. Thanks for sharing your lovely garden with us yesterday.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw the pics of your voodoo lily and man is that thing large. I agree about the "fragrance" lol. They're right up there with carrion flowers. The titan arum corm has to get about 40 lbs before its mature enough to bloom.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok in the last 9 months these have grown and were repotted in 6 inch pots.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took our normal sunshine mix and added some orchid bark. Apparently they like it moist not wet. They'll be going into 10 inch pots now.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I miss my amorphs.
    Tally HO!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Joey, Good job taking care of them!! Looks like they're living up to their name..

Tally, at the fall SAPS I'll have a few bulbs that I grew from seed from the one I have ... :-)

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here they are potted up into their new 10's. The largest is unraveling his third leaf while the other one has a new shoot coming that will be ITS third leaf. They'll eventually hit a dormancy but until then they keep chugging along.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok time for another update! These two Titan Arums have put on two new leaves each and the roots are filling the pots. Time to pot them up

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gone are the 10 inch pots from 4 months ago. It's time for some 3 gallons. I mixed up a batch of soil with Sunshine Mix, compost, orchid bark, expanded shale and a bit of limestone sand. They're big enough to stay on the floor now.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okie doke all potted up with some topdress and Marathon to keep the creepy crawlies away.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On a side note there are other growth points coming up that I believe might be offshoots or bulbils. It would be awesome to have some more I can divide off of the big ones. We shall see!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

How exciting! They are looking good. Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Golly they grow fast.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At the moment they're 2 feet tall but are mature at around 10 feet. Its gonna need a pretty big pot by then.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to check in in case anyone was thinking " I wonder what happened to Joey's Titan Arums?" So here it is! Both of my plants FINALLY went dormant back in February and to make sure it wasn't rot/fungus/who knows I unearthed the corms. One was about 8 lbs and the other about 5. Unfortunately only the 8lb one showed signs of new growth point. Its the one pictured. He had two points off one corm and is 4ft tall in a 5 gallon pot.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good the pic came out :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Yes, I do think of the Titan Arums in your care from time to time. Looking good! Thanks for the update.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ok folks its February so I felt an update was in order. That one plant up there was able to be split apart and is now two 5 foot plants. They're both in 5 gallon pots and are about 5 feet tall. I expect them to start going dormant around May and ill have to divide them because they're gonna start crowding.

• castro_gardener
    8 years ago

Wow, Joey, cool! It's like raising kids! well.... almost. I've been trying to reach you. Had emailed you a couple times over the past few months. Ragna said that you might have gotten a new email address. Do you still have mine? If so, send me an email -- I'll let you know why I was trying to reach you. (patty)

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You may have my old address that was the one that got hacked. My new address is suprbst01@yahoo.com

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Joey, thanks for the update! The bulbs have been multiplying I see. Are the original ones getting bigger -- as in big enough to bloom in some of our lifetimes? ... :-)

Will the plants be put on display someday?

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update! I know it doesn't look like anything changed but it did. The one on the left that came out of dormancy last July is now going back into dormancy. He's gonna get bumped up into a 3 gallon and next month when the next three die down, they'll get into 3 gallons also.

Now the bigs one to the right are my champions, especially the big boy in the back right. I'm gonna let them go down and come back one more time before they each get their own 10 gallon for one more cycle. Eventually I hope the put the biggest ones in one of these big terra-cotta pots. Those are 12 inchers btw.

• castro_gardener
    7 years ago

What happens next, Joey? Are these being grown to display at the Botanical Gardens at some point ? If so, when would that be ?

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well April 2019 would be about 7 years since they started growing. That's usually the earliest a plant has come into bloom so we'll see. My money is on 2020 or 2021.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The left one finally went dormant so I decided to unearth to see how big the corn was:

You can see the new bud that will become the next leaf. It doesn't look like much until you turn over and see what last years corm look like

• sewnmom7
    7 years ago

WOW ! !

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    7 years ago

Whoever gave me all those nicely wrapped herbs, I just want to thank you so much! I went ahead and planted them finally. I'm excited because one of my sons would like to venture in making his own essential oils from scratch! OMG. I didn't know it at the time I requested these herbs but now they really are going to come in handy. yeah!

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update! Update! Update! So now I have 12 of these crazy things, two of the pots are doubles in fact. They’re coming out of dormancy right now and I’m hoping that with the increased sunlight and warmth, the corms will put on some girth

These two have gotten significantly bigger since the last time I posted. I think the one on the left is gonna be the first to bloom but I wouldn’t be surprised if the right one blooms a year after that. After they both open up, they’re going into terra-cotta pots. It’s time

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update! Update! Update! So now I have 12 of these crazy things, two of the pots are doubles in fact. They’re coming out of dormancy right now and I’m hoping that with the increased sunlight and warmth, the corms will put on some girth

These two have gotten significantly bigger since the last time I posted. I think the one on the left is gonna be the first to bloom but I wouldn’t be surprised if the right one blooms a year after that. After they both open up, they’re going into terra-cotta pots. It’s time

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

Golly, they are sure late waking up. I have some itty bitty seedlings off of seed from Ragna's voodoo lillies. So next year I will not freak out if they are no shows until way late in mid summer. I know yours are the big cousins that get gigantic. Mine did not sprout till it got in the upper 80's and 90's. These guys like it warm and wet.

• castro_gardener
    5 years ago

Cool, Joey! I have some seedlings from Ragna I hope will be for sale in the fall. Hey! We sure missed you guys at the spring swap !!

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I had to back up a few feet to get this picture. The one on the right is the one that was just unfurling two weeks ago. The left one has been just exploding! The petiole at the base is about the size of a Fosters can.

The craziest thing is just can’t quite figure out a name for it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

YIKES! I bet that thing can pack a lot of stink.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m hoping that it does. As far as I can tell, Moody Gardens and the Dallas Arboretum have had Titan Arums bloom before but nothing in San Antonio.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    5 years ago

Joey, wow -- they are growing almost literally by leaps and bounds. I'm loving the updates.

• castro_gardener
    5 years ago

Joey, what do you mean "a name for it." ??

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Many times when growers raise the plants, they give them names because they’ve nurtured them. Some examples are Crius, Hyperion and Wee Stinky. I just don’t know what to name mine

• castro_gardener
    5 years ago

Interesting. How about the Roman god Vortumnus?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Maybe call two of them Verti and Pompom! for short. Let's have a naming contest for the little beauties. I know the genus gets a lot of press because of the stinky bloom, but I love my small version, "Konjac" for its beautiful foliage and exotic lily like flower so let's give them positive names.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here I am standing under it. I’m about 5’10”

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    5 years ago

Wow! Love it! You could name that one "Blunderbore"!

From the internet: "In the tale of 'Jack and the Beanstalk' the traditional name for the Giant who lives atop of Beanstalk Land is Blunderbore. ”

And maybe name some of the others Fe, Fi, Fo, and Fum.

• phoenix7801
    Original Author
    last year

Im bumping this up because if you havent heard by now, THE ZOO IS GONNA BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH! Actually alot of places are gonna beat me to the punch because I no longer work for SABOT. It seems like so long ago I started this thread

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    last year

Joey, I saw THIS and thought of you. Your early care contributed to their success! Thank you!