Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

Chambersvillel Heritage Rose Garden - Rosedango

lucas_tx_gw
11 years ago

Skipped out of planting all the stuff I bought/acquired last weekend for a while today, couldn't resist Rosedango!

If you are not familiar with this Garden, here is a nice history.

http://www.chambersvilletreefarms.com/chambersville-heritage-rose-garden-presented-by-claude-graves/

Interestingly, despite the extensive preparation they did the to planting areas, they are having some issue with some of the roses at the bottom of hill not having good enough drainage and being chlorotic. They are doing some interesting work with augering holes around the planting area and adding more compost and they plan to cut some trenches parallel to the rows to try to lower the water table. This blackland prairie clay is a tough environment for anything (except the tall grass prairie :-)

Anyway, it was very cool. Greg Lowery (Vintage roses) gave a nice concise (meaning I could follow it ;-) ) history of roses. Peggy Martin was one of the speakers and I got to tour the garden with her.

I create a photobucket album because I have too many photos to post here. It was very windy so it was hard to keep the roses in focus but most of my pics are not too bad. I mainly photographed the ones I was interested in, or that just looked very pretty. Not everything was in bloom but alot were.

I put the type after name for most of them but Photobucket seems to have removed the parentheses so the names like kind of goofy in the album.

Here are a few of the shots of the surroundings. There is an area at the top that I've labled easy gardening or something that is organized by breeder, they have a lot of Buck roses, Bayses, etc. Mike Shoup's Pioneer roses are in a separate section and they have planted them in mixed gardens with old farm equipment and native plants.

In the actual heritage area, they have a big section on Texas found roses (Greg Grant was there as well) and sections for Chinas, Bermuda and a HUGE section of tea roses, and then smaller numbers of other categories. Dividing the areas they have hedges of mutabilis and Monsiuer Tillier but they prune the mutabilis, they aren't nearly as big as mine. The oldest roses were put in in 2006 I think but a lot of them are a lot younger.

I have to say, the prettiest overall rose for shape and bloom IMHO was Mrs. BR Cant, so I was really glad Roselee and the rest of you enables encouraged me to get her!

This is at the top, the speakers tent (did I mention they also hold weddings out there?) and the entrace was lined with Belinda's Dream and Dame de Couer.

A couple of the beds in the easy to grow/legends area

Mike Shoups Pioneer roses in their mixed beds

The arbor where they hold the weddings and the shot looking down at the tea roses from the arbor and a view back up from the bottom. You can see Mrs. Cant and Msr. Tillier right up by the arbor.

When you look at the album, I didn't title all the photos in the album so you have to look at the actual name of the photo to see which roses are which.

Hope you enjoy!

Teri

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Rose Garden album

Comments (2)