Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weenerdogg

Advice on Shumard Red Oak in the D/FW

weenerdogg
10 years ago

Where is the best place to get one at a reasonable price?

Comments (6)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

IMO, the best way is to plant some acorns in the fall. I just showed Sylvia a tree that a squirrel planted about 5 years ago and it is twice the size of two that I planted 15 years ago. They were in 1 gallon pots and about 4' tall when I planted them. If I can find any acorns under that tree (and I'm sure I can if the squirrels haven't taken them), I'll bring you some next Saturday if you want some. I can bring a seedling, but I've found that once they are big enough to tell they are a seedling, the root is too deep to dig up, and digging it anyway usually sets it back or kills it.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Haven't seen any of the few named cultivars sold through retail yet, so you'll likely find only "generic" trees.... which are usually great, just a bit less predictable in terms of shape, fall color, and a few other characteristics. Similar odds as starting from seed - agree with marti8a that it is a great option if you can wait for it to establish a presence.

Otherwise, both Lowes and Home Depot sell them, so could check to see if ones near you still have any in stock. On our side of DFW, North Haven Gardens or Bruce Miller Nursery should still have some in various sizes as they tend to maintain better year-round inventory than the big box stores.

Our squirrel planted Shumard is not changing yet. So if you do decide to buy this time of year, consider waiting a bit longer to see if you can find one that shows some good fall color. A lot of factors will affect this once planted, but can't hurt to start with one that at least shows some potential.

Edit: Just noticed inner leaves on the Shumard actually have started turning yellow since I last looked on Friday.

This post was edited by bostedo on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 18:50

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

I have 3 fully grown Shumards in my lawn. If you decide you want to start them from acorns, I could give you a whole bucket full!!

• weenerdogg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If anyone wants to give me some acorns ill give it a shot. Cant hurt to try.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

weenerdogg, Be glad to send some - email me if you're still looking.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

You can get all sorts of oaks at the SFA Fall Plant Sale just held Oct. 6. Or, come to the spring sale - just go on the Stephen F. Austin University website, look up the arboretum section - it will tell you when the spring sale is. Whereever you are located, it will be worth the drive to come to this sale. I got a shumard oak at the fall sale, cant recall how much it was, but all the plants are reasonable. They have things you cant get anywhere else. A huge variety of plants and the sale is a lot of fun. It showered on us this year - everyone just kept shopping!
    Judith