Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

My red spider lilies are just now coming up. Problem?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I'm so excited. I planted the bulbs last fall and after seeing others in the neighborhood blooming a week or so ago, I thought these just didn't make it. But why are they so late? Is it because they were transplanted, or too deep? Do you think they'll bloom this year?

Comments (12)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I'm seeing foliage too from some that my neighbor shared, but I *think* that mine always bloomed before they got foliage.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine definitely haven't bloomed, just a little foliage showing so far.

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

Mine bloomed and the flowers are now dead/dying with the foliage coming in. I'd wait until the foliage has come up and then see how deep they're planted. Maybe they needed another year to recover from the shock of being out of the ground for however long before you planted them last fall?

• TXSkeeter
    10 years ago

I also have red Spider Lilies and find that even in my limited space garden beds, they tend to bloom at staggered times during the Fall. Some were blooming at the start of September with the stragglers only starting about 10 days ago.
    Also, during the first year after being planted, some bulbs will/might tend to bloom on their own schedule rather than at the normally prescribed seasons. Usually not an issue for succeeding years...
    Steve

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They weren't out of the ground more than 20 minutes. I moved them from a neighbor's yard directly to my yard. They were blooming at the time.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

My experience is that if you got foliage first, you won't get flowers this year. And when I've dug mine up to share, it took a year or two to get flowers. Also, there is no rhyme or reason as to why they bloom some years and not others although once they start, you'll get blooms almost every year. The best thing to do is just ignore them and let them surprise you next year. Most of mine bloomed, but not all of them. I know your frustration. I look forward to seeing them every year and when I only get foliage, I get really bummed.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Mine aren't blooming either, but are showing foliage so it's nada for this year. I haven't tested the idea, but I read that the dormant lycoris bulbs need water during the summer to induce them to bloom. Maybe it's something for us to try next year. My school house lilies bloomed so it seems they make do with less water; that is -- IF the theory is correct.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Jim posted photos of his blooming spider lilies and rain lilies. on the Texas Gallery.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I had blooms of all my different types of Spider lilies, blood lilies at the same time. Usually they are staggered.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

one clump is blooming, one clump bloomed a couple of weeks ago, one clump has leaves but never bloomed this year and the yellow bloomed in May. I`ve tried talking to them about this not blooming together thing but they could care less.
    Tally HO!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I was truly amazed at the group party. When they stagger it, one does get a LONGER show. Now if I could only get my rain lilies to bloom after EVERY rain.

• lesli8
    10 years ago

I have the white spider lilies. Mine bloomed early Sept. maybe? But mine always have foliage until frost then they put out new foliage early spring, and I have foliage first, whether or not I get blooms. Maybe the white ones are completely different animals. I am certain of one thing. I NEED RED SPIDER LILIES!! Beautiful! Congratulations!

Lesli