Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysa_gw

Wedelia

sunnysa
10 years ago

Okay, so I received a cutting at the spring swap and could not remember the name of the vine. Just today, I learned that the vine was wedelia and it was very invasive. It is and has already grown quite a bit. My question is: Would it be all right to leave it in the pot with the purple bean vine? .... Or, would it crowd it out and keep the bean vine from growing?

This post was edited by sunnysa on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 11:13

Comments (9)

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The folks on name that plant answered my question. Aren't they great? They are quick! It will be coming out this morning for sure.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I once planted Wedelia also, but took it out when it began to take over the world, so to speak.

Here is a link that might be useful: Answer on 'Name That Plant' ...

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Just clarifying this is the sphagneticola trilobata version of "wedelia", not the native herb/shrub form (wedelia texana, w. acapulcensis var. hispida, zexmenia hispida). Though that pot would probably not remain big enough for the native version either, wedelia texana is not nearly as aggressive as this more tropical import.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wedelia texana

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee, thanks for the info. When I looked at the photos online, it looks like it could take over the world, lol.

Bostedo, I didn't realize there was another version. I might try to look for that native version. I loved the leaves and the bright color of the flowers. The native version appears to be more orange than yellow. Thanks for the link.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

W. Texana is still better known by its former genus classification Zexmenia. Flower color ranges from yellow to yellow (golden?) orange. Have found only yellow at local nurseries, though have seen the yellow orange flowers used in commercial plantings around town.

Edit: Added link to NPSOT article with photos of the more yellow variation. Article mentions propagation by cuttings or seed, but also VERY easy to encourage its self-layering tendencies: clear mulch under a node and hold it to the bare ground with a small stone. Doesn't seem to self-seed on our blackland prairie clay, but we are well east of its native range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trinity Forks NPSOT article on Wedelia Texana

This post was edited by bostedo on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 14:54

• rock_oak_deer
    10 years ago

I grow both and the two are not at all similar. Wedelia texana is a shrub with rough leaves and woody stems. The flowers are very different as well.

I have seen Zexmenia growing in the DFW area so you would find it a good substitute for lantana.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bostedo, Thanks for the link. We plan to plant some white sunflowers in spring and I think this might do well in and around the sunflowers. It would be in the far corner of the yard where nothing else does well.

Rock Oak, I'll check the local nurseries in the Spring. Maybe, if I'm lucky enough to see both of them, I can see which one would do best. Thanks for the info.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

S. trilobata was extensively used in latinamerica as ground cover in public places (I don't know if still is). IMO it may look good in extense surfaces while it looks kinda plain in small places. It also looks pitiful in dry conditions.

Omar

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Kill it, kill it now. It will escape the pot and take over the hood. Your neighbors will hate you. I planted that once, even the hurricane couldn`t kill it. I planted Asian jasmine to get rid of it and you know what a pest that is.
    Tally Ho!