Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with plant ID

Posted by jardineratx 9tx (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 21:38

On a trip to Victoria, tx this weekend, we saw a raised bed full of this beautiful small shrub. At a distance it appeared to be Texas sage, but as I came close to take my photos, it was obvious that this is something else. Any ideas?
From October 23, 2011

From October 23, 2011

Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with plant ID

There is a "green cloud" form of that plant that is green?

o

This plant does not have the upright growth habit of Texas Sage, but a cascading growth habit, (about 3 foot tall). As a matter of fact, there is a Texas Sage planted at the end of the same bed and they are not the same plant. The leaves of the mystery plant are small and thick, almost like a succuclent.

o

I think there are many versions of texas sage.

o

Maybe it would help with the ID to see a closeup of the flowers and leaves.

o

I tried clicking it to make it larger but it wouldn't let me.

o

Perhaps you can crop the original photo down to show a small area, put the cropped version on Picasso, and then post it.

o

Maybe this will be a little better.

Molly

From October 24, 2011

o

Whatever it is, you have made all of us want it.

o

Soxxx, I agree! It's beautiful.

The shape of the flowers, with two petals up and three down with a yellow speckled throat, look like Texas sage flowers to me.

What do the rest of you think?

o

If I'm right about the green cloud sage thing I'm gunna faint...I'm never right!
That sure is pretty. I'll bet at the very least it's native to TX or the Southwest.

o

Maybe beach vitex? Pretty but supposed to be invasive

Here is a link that might be useful: Vitex rotundifolia

o

I'm familiar with Green Cloud sage and the more common Texas sage, which you can see at the right corner of this photo growing next to the bed of mystery plants. You can also see from this photo that the mystery plant has a mounding, cascading growth habit.
I'm sure it is a cenizo, but it grows so differently from the Leucophyllum frutescens.
From October 23, 2011

o

Wow Molly -- that's a pretty thing. I hope we can get a definite ID of variety. If no one here can ID it maybe put it on the Name That Plant Forum.

Kathy, Beach vitex is a very good guess, but I grow Beach vitex, and love it, but the flowers are different. Here's a picture.

By the way, I think Beach vitex is only invasive on beaches. I'm trying to get more plants by pinning some branches on the ground.

o

My best guess is Chihuahuan Sage (Leucophyllum laevigatum). Its green foliage matches your picture, and the relaxed growth habit is said to contrast well with Texas Sage.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Leucophyllum laevigatum form 2

o

YEAY!!! I looked up the Chihuahua sage and browsed through several images on the internet and I am sure that's it. This planting is on the side of the Victoria courthouse and in front of their jail in full, hot sun in a raised bed with a gravel-based soil.
Thank you so much....now I know what to look for. A hunting I will go!
Molly

o

Thank you Exotic Natives for the ID and Molly for introducing it to us. Now we'll know what to watch for, and what it is if we see it.

o
RE: Oh and PJ ..

PJ -- you got the right family!

o

*sob* ttthank you ms. roselee. :)

o
hardy

it's native to Tx and can tolerate down to 18 degrees. It's very pretty but I'm out of room!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here