Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnypenny

scarecrow trail -jacksonville

ginnypenny
12 years ago

OK, as promised here's the scoop. The Cherokee County Master Gardeners will have their annual Scarecrow Trail October 15th through November 3. It is located at the Texas Forest Department on Loop 456 (just South of Jacksonville on Hwy 69). What is it? A beautiful walk down a wooded trail lined with all kinds of creative scarecrows.

General admission is at least one can of food per person for the H.O.P.E. Food Pantry in Jacksonville. This high price admission will allow you to walk the Trail, visit the demonstration garden, look over the HOPE garden. On the weekends there will be plants for sale and strolling musicians. Refreshments will be available.

The Trail will be opened to the public Monday through Friday, from 9:00 am through 3:00 pm, until Thursday Nov.3.

Last year, was the first year and it was a huge success. It will be held rain or shine....we can only hope to get wet. Come and enjoy the fun.

Comments (8)

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I am asking around for someone to go with me while the weather is nice.

• ginnypenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope you find someone to go with you. Some of the entries this year are really great. The whole thing is not as big as last year, but just as much fun. You can tell some of the entrants were here last year and went home and did some real planning.

Plus, it's a great way to help the many folks in Cherokee Cty than are in need of food and help.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

DGD and I are going tomorrow. I hope that we meet some other gardeners there.

She broke her neck in a 4-wheeler accident in Jacksonville on Septembner 18. She gets around okay and is wearing a neck brace. I told her that we should go by the hospital there and thank them for saving her life. She is 19.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

Just returned home from the Scarecrow Trail. It was worth the 100 mile round trip. The weather was perfect. My favorites were The Hunting Camp and the Girl in the Bamboo Swing. All the participants did excellent work.

The Master Gardeners should be proud. Their display garden was so healthy. The roses were outdoing themselves.

A further treat was visiting the Joe Smith Nursery just east of Jacksonville. I had not been there before. Bought a Cape Honeysuckle, Mexican sage, and a flat of minature pansies.

Then stopped at the Pirtle Flea Market near KIlgore where a vender was selling bushel size mums in full bloom at
    2/$10.00.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Oh, soxxx, total plant envy on the mums.........how many did you buy???

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

carrie
    I only bought one at $6.00 because I had already bought 15 in asssorted sizes at a much higher price at a local box store. I put the new one in DD's office.

Been sitting here thinking that maybe I will return for some more tomorrow. Too good to pass up. It is about 7-8 miles from here.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I'd be all over that if I had them that near by.

• ginnypenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, tomorrow and Thursday the 2nd and 3rd of Nov are the last two days for the trail. It is open from about 9 am to 3:pm.

The weather has been wonderful, it will make a great short trip for those who have the time. Be sure to go through the demonstration garden.

And there are several great nurseries in the area, Hughes on HWY 69 towards Tyler, Joe Smith on Hwy 79 towards New Summerfield are just two that come to mind.

See the rest of you NEXT YEAR.

Ginny