Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soxxxx

Pink Trumpet Vine

soxxxx
12 years ago

DD bought this plant in an Austin nursery (she thinks) about 10 years ago but never knew its name.. She kept it in a pot and brought it in in winter. It had arching stems about 3 feet long that bloomed a few pink flowers occasionally.

Last fall it was a sickly yellow and she was going to trash it. I brought it home, cut it back, and put it in the ground and kept it covered with a water teepee all winter. I just lately ID'd it.

In the spring it greened up and grew and grew and grew in an arching form with some of the branchs now reaching 12 feet.

I need advice on what to do with it in Zone 8 in anticipation of frost/freeze. There are now multiple woody stems.

Comments (18)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I'm not sure where you live, but here on the N.W. side of San Antonio this plant grew for about 12 or 14 years on a lattice on the end of the deck off our store room. It required no special care other than a couple of fertilizer pellets each spring and a little water. As you say it produced very long branches and would start blooming in late summer and bloomed until the first hard freeze.

The branches always died to the ground in winter, but with no thorns and since it did not twine like a true vine it was easy to cut down and remove.

Before winter I'd pile extra leaves over the root area and it always faithfully returned. However, I grew complacent and last winter, our coldest in years, I did not offer the roots any protection and main roots died, but a few canes under the deck have been peeping through. I hope to coax it back into full production in a year or two. It's a beautiful plant!

I'd recommend surrounding it with a deep pile of leaves, or bags of damp leaves. The process of their breaking down over the winter may generate enough heat to protect the roots.

• soxxxx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you roselee
    It has such beautiful leaves as well as flowers. None of my gardening friends had seen it before. Several have visited since its "fame" has spread. I like your lattice with the birdhouse. I need to make ours some sort of prop. Right now it is half against a bottle tree and half sprawled. I did not know to prepare for such a giant.

Another plant that brought the gardeners to my house was an iron weed vernonii. It too grew much more than anticipated reaching 6 feet with bright purple flowers. I rescued it from a ditch. I have not been successful in getting the seed to sprout. It did selfsow between some brick and has grown there all summer. The original plant died. Maybe it is biannual.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

One of my garden club friends here in east Texas (due east of Dallas) grows this in her garden, on a trellis on the east side of her house. She didn't provide any heroic measures last winter (other than leaf mulch) and it's doing very well.

HTH.
    Lin

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I love that vine, but I've never seen it for sale in this area.
    Anybody know who sells them?
    I am going to Kerrville this weekend and I'll look there if we get to any nurseries.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Andrea's Hill Country Garden in New Braunfels had it a couple of weeks ago.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Thanks roselee.
    I googled it and don't think DH will mind going there.
    We normally turn at Austin and go thru Fredericksburg, so he's not very happy about me wanting to go to ARE.
    I was thinking I might go to Natives of Texas, but I bet I can find more stuff than I need at Hill Country Gardens.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Well, I'll have to say Fredericksburg has some wonderful plant nurseries, especially Wildseed Farms! I was there a few months ago and it's not just seeds to buy and fields of flowers to see like in the old days. They had a LOT of great Texas friendly plants. You might call around and see if they have Pink trumpet vine at any of the Fred. nurseries and if so have them save one for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fredericksburg plant nurseries ...

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

(covering eyes with hands) I didn't see or read that I could grow that vine this far north. Y'all are killing me with these gorgeous vine pictures! I haven't got any more trellis!!! I'm too tired to build more!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :)

• annieinaustin
    12 years ago

Your pink trumpet looks really good on the sturdy trellis, Roselee, and sturdy is what that vine needs. I've seen it here in Austin at the home of MSS of Zanthan Gardens. She calls it Podranea ricasoliana, and gives it alternate names of Port St John's Creeper and Desert Trumpet Willow vine. Now you have me wondering if it survived this horrible summer.

It's supposed to be zone 9.

Here is a link that might be useful: Podranea at Zanthan Gardens blog

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

The bloger mentions a problem with her Pink trumpet vine self layering. I never had that problem since my plant stayed upright by leaning on and through the lattice. It is a huge plant that's for sure. The root ball got bigger, but it never spread by runners in my yard. It was about as trouble free a plant as there could be for me. No leaf diseases, no bugs ate it and the blooming period was a couple of months starting early September. I wouldn't mind having a couple of her layered plants! :-)

• soxxxx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That blog makes me a little antsy wondering if I should attempt to move PTV to a more isolated area of the yard. I could leave it where it is and move a pink flowering almond and a rose. It really is pretty right now where it is pushing through a blue bottle tree.

That blogger makes it sound like the roots are so great a problem that he would like to be rid of it.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

roselee, we did go by Andrea's Hill Country Garden in New Braunfels Saturday.
    She didn't remember having had pink trumpet vine, so I didn't get that, but did pick up a few other things.
    We really enjoyed our tour of her gardens and will go back when we're in the area.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I guess someone bought it. I expected the Pink Trumpet Vine to be the one you inquired about on the other thread because it was sitting on the ground near him and someone was asking about it. But I'm glad you found some other things you liked :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I went to my original photo and there was the Pink Trumpet Vine sitting on the ground on the other side of the speaker ...

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Wish I had seen it, if it's still there.
    I don't remember seeing a wooden deck area.
    Oh well, maybe next time.
    The firecracker plant we bought was to the right of the front door.

• beachplant
    12 years ago

Always called it a Pandora vine. It's fairly easy to root. It dies back if it's even a little cold here but comes back with no problems. The chickens like to chew on it.
    Tally HO!

• tomatoworm59
    12 years ago

That is just too cool! I've seen the yellow as well as the most common orange flowered ones, but I've NEVER seen a PINK trumpet creeper before! Totally awesome!

• soxxxx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are due our first frost tonight. Since growing it is new to me, I am anxious about how it will take it.