Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel77_gw

Limited vine choices?

rachel77
12 years ago

I am looking for a vine to cover a freestanding patio. It will have full sun. I'd like it to be somewhat drought tolerant. Evergreen is great, but it's not necessary. Are these my only choices: Carolina jessamine, wisteria, or cross vine? I tried climbing pinkie last year and she fried. Any other suggestions? Are passionflowers hardy here? I'm in Wichita Falls.

Thanks!!!

Comments (23)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'd go with the Carolina Jessamine or a Crossvine. Both are native (crossvine attracts hummingbirds),evergreen and not invasive. I've seen wisteria pics on line of a destroyed pergola,porch and house (different places). The people loved the gorgeous flowers but couldn't believe the damage wisteria can do. I'd also avoid native trumpet vine unless you put it in a large container over cement and are prepared to do a lot of pruning on a ladder. My crossvine is in full sun on a trellis connected to a fence on the west side of my house. Even only 3 years old it did fine in the heat this summer. My Carolinas seem to be less hardy for heat.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Consider Coral Honeysuckle!

Coral honeysuckle does not become invasive like its non-native cousin, Japanese honeysuckle.

Here is a link that might be useful: some info

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

My favorite vine is yellow butterfly vine. It does not twine, you will have to secure it until it gets to the top.

Also Sweet Autumn Clematis. It is said to be invasive. But it was not for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: butterfly vine

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

My favorite has been evergreen wisteria. It has been intermittently evergreen for me, but comes back in the spring when it isn't. It also blooms all summer long and the blooms smell good too. I'm in the Dallas area, so I doubt it would be evergreen for you. I used to live in WF and remember the summers to be hotter and the winters to be colder there.

• rachel77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all. I think I'll try the coral honeysuckle. I'm terrified of wisteria and trumpet vine is evil. :)

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

I have blue passionvine that is evergreen here during mild winters but comes back from the roots after a cold winter like we had last year...6 & 9 degrees for lows just west of DFW. It is hardy to Zone 5.
    {{gwi:450836}}

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I would try both the passion vine and the coral honeysuckle.

:)

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

that blue passi is carulea native to Brazil. I have it, 4 years now. I love the almost lacely foliage. Love that it's waiting for any butterflies that awaken in the middle of winter. I Lost a modest part of it last winter to the big freeze, but it returned nicely. I'm In Arlington so zone 7b.
    c

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

High country Gardens has a red honey suckle that is cold and drought worthy. Lonicera sempivirens 'Major Wheeler". It is really floriferous.

I have grown the Loncera sempivirens "coral" from cuttings in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Major Wheeler honey suckle vine

• dallasblooms
    12 years ago

Passion vine was very invasive for me. I say "was" because I riped it out after it tried to take over my coral honeysuckle. It had to cross under a sidewalk to do it too. It sure had pretty and interesting flowers but caterpillars loved it too much too so it didn't look very nice a lot of the time. Carolina Jessimine is my favorite. Too bad Climbing Pinkie didn't work for you - I love mine. I also like my Lady Banks Rose bush - it certainly likes to climb!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Lady banks look fabulous in the spring and she's evergreen but would also require pruning on a ladder.It's the largest rose in the world. I agree about the passionvine. It's beautiful but invasive and does get ratty with the Gulf Frit butterfly larve. I also think if you had trouble growing a Pinkie you'll have a ratty looking coral honeysuckle but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    When deciding on a vine I always start with a hyacinth bean (fast growing annual with viable seeds that are decorative in fall)Hyacinth bean is a non-native, heat hardy vine that nitrogens the soil and removes heavy metals. It's used to clean up areas with contamination. It gives me an idea of what I want, preps the soil and attracts hummingbirds like mad. You can also mix it with smaller vines to act as a filler while they mature. It has protected establishing roses and vines (strangely it doesn't choke them out) at my house.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

You could also for the first year or so plant annual vines until the slower growing ones take off. Coral honeysuckle might be slow to get going over a large structure.

Since you don't care about evergreen, purple hyacinth vine, or moon flower vine would be good choices. You'd have to replant each year but you use the previous year's seeds...and yank out any volunteers that come up where you don't want them.

• rachel77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, that passi is gorgeous! So is the major wheeler. I may be a rebel and try both. I like the annual vine idea, too. Thanks so much!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Rachel!! I just remembered another vine choice!
    I'm going to find a place to put one of these for myself!

google this:

pink lemonade honeysuckle vine

or

Lonicera x heckrottii 'Pink Lemonade'

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Lemonade honeysuckle vine

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Mel, Carolann had the pinklemonade honeysuckle on the gate closest to her house.
    I have wanted one since the swap at her house.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I think Carolann's pink lemonde might have died but I don't know why it did.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I am sorry to hear that........it was striking !!!!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Her Lady Margaret Passi is doing famously only a few feet from there. You'd think the passi would be the one to croak.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I would definitely consider the Madison variety of Confederate (Star) Jasmine. It's beautiful in all seasons being evergreen and blooming with VERY sweetly scented blooms for several weeks in the spring. Only the Madison is hardy and I find it's very drought tolerant when established.

Perhaps there is a public garden in your area where you could see it and other vines before making a decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Madison star jasmine ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

The article linked above says it needs help climbing as it has no aerial roots. It's comparing it to an ivy that clings to flat brick walls. Madison star jasmine twines and easily climbs an arbor or chain link fence.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I don't know if my Confederate Star jasmine is Madison, but I have 2 that have survived our past 2 winters and this summer.
    One died back last winter but has since grown back.
    They both climb without help and are evergreen.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I like the Confederate Star jasmine because it will also grow and do well in partial shade.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Heads up, Carolina Jessamine is rated just as toxic as nightshade and hemlock. Here is a link to toxicity ratings