Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Alamo Vine

ruthz
12 years ago

Two summers and still no flowers.

Is this vine worth trying to overwinter again?

Comments (12)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Weird I heard those things took over the world. I'm sorry your flower didn't flower.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

mine blooms quite nicely. Except this year with the drought.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I had one that reseeded itself every year and bloomed profusely, but was not invasive.

This spring not one plant emerged.

Last week when I was weeding I jerked up a stray plant.
    As soon as as it was in my hand I recognized it as alamo vine. It was the only one that I saw. Maybe one more will volunteer.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

mine is a perennial in 8a- 8b. Have you tried mulching it to get it to come back? There is a relative of it that is yellow good for Zone 9. I am trying to get some seeds. very hard. Another one of those American Natives that is only available for sale in aEurope.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't mulched.
    I grew the vine from seeds last spring.
    I overwintered it in the MS greenhouse.
    I have it in a pot and it's about 4' or 5'tall.
    The vine seems healthy but just no flowers yet.
    Maybe I'll plant it inground.
    Do you know the name of the yellow one?
    I could add it to my want list.
    I usually join a couple of Round Robin swaps a year.
    Maybe someone would have it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

This one is very hard to come by. I am having to work hard for this one or I will have to do a order to a Seed bank in FRANCE and their minimum order is $150. I could get it from Thomsan and morgan in England MAYBE. That page has me totally confused. I found a wholesale nursery in Arizona that sells plants but I want one plant and I am in Texas. i will call and see if they ship to any stores in Austin and have them ship me in one. It is regionally available at the Desert Botanical Museum but they don't ship. Oh the name is Merremia aurea. I found a trader but he is very specific in his wants. My eyes are burning from googling. This one is native to the Baja peninsula. This is on many recommended species list for desert regions, but no one sells seeds.

• Liz Fiscus
    5 years ago

HI. Hope this helps. I hunted this vine for over 10 years. Only sample was on a extremely busy highway and my husband would not let me venture across to get seeds. I finally found a vine in San Antonio on a light post. First year I got about 4 plants from the few seeds I had. I kept it in pots on my front glassed in porch for 3 years. Then I took it outside for one year, but brought it in for winter. last year I planted it outside permanently and it thrived and flowered. This year it is flowering nicely. I guess patience is the key or on part just sheer darned cussedness. Hope this helps. It is a most lovely vine.

• Liz Fiscus
    5 years ago

Ladies. Next year I will give you seeds for free. I used all last years, but there will be more. Just leave a message here if you would like some.

• Vulture61
    5 years ago

Liz, I am not a lady, but I would like some Alamo Vine seeds, please. Thanks!

Omar

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

For you , Omar , I will take a trip down to the bridge and pick some for you later this summer.

• Vulture61
    5 years ago

Dang, Mara! I appreciate you!

Omar