Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aggie Cotton

Posted by msmisk NTX8 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 07 at 23:56

Anyone heard of this plant ? There is a gorgeous specimen at the butterfly gardens at the State Fair. Looks like a hardy hibiscus, with the most gorgeous pink/maroon flower and maroon stems. I took one of the seed pods - they look like cotton bolls, with white cottony stuff around the seeds. It was already open and only had two seeds inside. In case they don't germinate, does anyone know of a source for plants ? I'm smitten. I have to have one of my very own !

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aggie Cotton

When I google it, I the only site that comes up is the Texas Discovery Garden Butterfly Plant Sale list. It's listed as gossypium hirsutum. They also have two others called Green Cotton and Brown Cotton.

Carol

o

I have one called 'Burgandy Cotton'!

It has boo-full burgandy colored leaves, and blooms lovely silky-looking burgandy flowers that are on the order of hibiscus.

I got mine at Caldwell Nursery. You might check out this link,

It says the Heirloom Burgandy Cotton is sold out as of 7/26, but I bought it last month.

Love it, love it, love it!

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Burgandy Cotton

o

Janie, thanks for the tip. Your plant looks very similar to the one I saw. I sent them an email ordering one, and a half dozen other cool things I saw on their site. Hopefully they have one last plant stuck back in the corner somewhere that they can send me !

Carol

o

I love that nursery. I don't get to go there very often, but I always make it a habit to check out the "collector's list", and the "Featured list". That way, when I get there, I tell her what all I want, then I can just look at all the stuff! I could spend all day there!

If you get the chance, make the trip. It is worth it!

Janie

o

What a neat website, thanks!

o

At TAMU they grow actual cotton that has maroon leaves and when the bolls open, they are a bright white, thus maroon and white, the envy of any Aggie.

The plants get quite large in some areas, as tall as 4+ feet. Very very beautiful.

Of course, they also developed the maroon carrot and maroon radish, among countless others, and also the maroon orange...a stab at their rival school whose colours are burnt orange and white.

Gig'em!

Kt

o

They also developed that Maroon Bluebonnet... which might be going too far.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Maroon Bluebonnet

o

OMG! I so clueless here in TX. I always thought cotton was indigenous to India or Egypt, I had no clue it had hibiscus like flowers,or was grown for anything that wasn't commercial. PJ

o

Not going too far, just improving on what's there already!:)

Besides, wouldn't that make them maroonbonnets? Basically, it's just a lupine, which already come in many colours besides blue, so no harm done.

Kt

o

Gorgeous!!!!

I bet it needs a lot of water??

o

I spoke with someone who was going to College Station this past weekend, and asked if they would look to see if there were still any unharvested 'Aggie' cotton fields left.

Luckily, there were and they actually picked one bowl. The leaves are a deep maroon and the bolls are, well, cotton white.

They didn't get a picture, but said it was breathtaking compared to the green cotton fields of back home, which they had countless acres planted there also.

We may try to make a trip there this weekend and see if we can get a photo, and maybe some more seeds.

Kt

o

I work at Brumley Gardens in Lakehighlands off church rd, we carry aggie Cotton in a 1 gallon size for $9.99

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here