Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you see the forecast?

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 0:09

Yikes! 22 on Wed night for Arlington. How did that happen, last I looked ahead it was going to warm up and the lows were only 28. I hope they are wrong. c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you see the forecast?

Yeah, early forecasts didn't even have us breaking 32 degrees in the Addison area this week - latest are putting lows in the 23 to 28 range on Wednesday. At least we ought to have some nice piles of leaves for Thanksgiving.

o

We already have a nice pile of leaves.... They're everywhere, lol.

o

they have issued frost warnings on the coast for T-day morning, freeze warnings in Houston. BAH! Too early to be this cold!
Tally HO!

o

Tally
I do not wish you what we have here in DFW today. :+(

o

It does seem that winter came earlier than usual. At least, plants had been exposed to cold weather enough times to adapt and get ready for the cold months unlike December of 2005 when we went from 90s to low to mid 10s in matter of days.

o

Colorado will be in the 50's by Turkey day so I am looking forward to it pushing this weather farther east soon.

o

I woke up to ice on all my cactus yesterday on Monday. The ones still out there are from OK, NM , and TX so they SHOULD be OK. I better get my frost covers on tonight on other stuff. I have some aloe blooms on my hardy aloes pushing out.

o

I hope the cacti make it Mara, that's a neat picture!

o

We had 2 3/4 " of rain and the ice got washed off pretty quickly later in the morning. Their soil is try fast draining. !/4 mile away there was no ice. Weird.

o

Got 2 1/2" of rain out of it. Water in the birdbath got frozen. It is rather early even where I used to live. I wonder how that will affect my shantung maples for their fall color which doesn't seem to be looking good so far.My Montezuma cypress trees are still green so so far, so cool with majority of bald cypress trees turning color right now.

We got lucky. If the temperature had gotten a couple degrees colder... what a nightmare it'd be with that much rain...

o

The cypress trees were bent over with ice a bit. And at 8:30 am, there were christmas balls of ice hanging off every oak leaf. The freezing rain fell at night. I could hear the difference, but the rain in the day melted it all. I am at just under 1400' altitude up here. I drove out early and just 1/4 mile away, the Ice stopped.

I have seen 3/4" ice around everything and trees snapping like rifle shots. I am grateful that this was a friendly icing. The cactus are fine. Another time the freezing rain went on for three days and trees were falling over because the ground was so wet and the ice was holding the water in and it was not flowing down hill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here