Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

I want to root cuttings from a Brug

cynthianovak
11 years ago

Carrie anyone....help! I have a brugmansia that has some older thick branches. I need to cut the lateral ones off, but it pains me not to try to root them.

When I root one, should I make it small, or leave it long?

I assume rooting hormone. but would it work to take a long branch dipt the bottom in hormone and root it in a fairly deep pot. I am hoping roots wil form and that the lateral branch will become the upright trunk,

Any of your done this successfully? any other guidance or diection is greatly appreciated. c

Comments (18)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I usually root long branches in water, just a few inches and keep the water clean. I keep the bucket near a sunny window. Once there are a lot of roots I either pot them up or I keep them in water all winter and plant them out in the spring. They are pretty easy, especially the woodier cuttings.

Just my 2 cents :-)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I do pretty much the same thing as Pam with the exception of a sunny window. Most of mine are rooted in the garage with only a window that lets a little light in, but the cuttings are not exposed to sun. Your method of putting it directly in soil would work in the Spring, Cynthia, but I recommend the water method in the fall and winter.
    Some of my Dr. Seuss cuttings I leave as full trunk cuttings (about seven feet tall), let them root over the winter then plant them out in the Spring. Hope Pam and I have helped you.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

The idea of 7ft trunk cutting intrigues me Carrie...do you have pics of this process?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

No process, Phoenix, just put it in water and wait for the roots. I had two of the Dr. Seuss brugs that had multiple trunks this year (eleven between them) and even though I gave all these away, this is what I have done in the past. Some people cut the trunks up into multiple cuttings, but I like getting a tree from the cutting the first season.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Carrie and Pam!:>
    I couldn't stand the thought of cutting those long branches into pieces. I'll put them in water in my greenhouse where there is light. Maybe the east side where the water won't get too hot.

It seems that I tried water in the past and failed. I'll bet it was because I didn't change the water. I am excited!
    How deep should it be? As deep as a bucket or perhaps that is too deep?

I have a metal roof so it never gets too hot. We get a lot of hail in Tarrant Cty. Metal has lasted for 5 years.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I just reread you poast Pam, I see you said just a few inches deep. thank you c

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I do about six inches, Cynthia, and that leaves a little time for evaporation before you have to fill it to that level again. Once the "nubbies" start showing, don't let it get below that level on the cutting.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you. This morning I suddenly employed the old clear glass vases that I wouldn't discard. This sunny weather will really help. But your experience has me on a rooting roll.
    c

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Funny, I use those as well for smaller cuttings......you can readily see if the water needs changing, and also see when the "nubbies" start showing.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put some rooting hormone in the water which made it white. In my fantasy world and this unusually mild weather, I will have nubbies in 2 weeks and transfer them into moist potting soil.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I have found that my brug cuttings root faster when I have them in clear glass. I go to goodwill and buy clear glasses just to root cuttings. I also add a drop of superthrive to the water, and change the water every other day. This time of the year, you might need to add bottom heat to get them to root, or keep them on top of the frig. Barbra

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I don't do any of that, Barbra, they root for me quite nicely just by leaving them in water and leaving them alone. I do watch to see if it gets cloudy, but if it doesn't, I don't bother to change it.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

You will probably have nubbies within a few days with only plain water. With the addition of rooting hormone or super-thrive, much sooner, I would think.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Usually when I buy cuttings, I do not get woody ones, they are green below the Y. It takes me at least 3 weeks before I see roots when rooting in the winter. I will try your method, next week, when I get to go down to the coast. I can't wait to try the easy method. I was told on the brugmansia forum to do it that way, so I did. I also add a few drops of peroxide to my water to prevent it from getting cloudy. I also use an egg carton to hold up the cuttings I have, and put one cutting in each glass, if in the winter place them on a heat mat. Talk about overkill. Barbra

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see nubies already! 6 days in. Trying to decide if i should pot them. I May wedge the vases between pots in the greenhouse for a while longer. this is very exciting!
    smiles
    c

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

We are going to get our first freeze tomorrow 26 degrees, I plan to take cuttings today of my Peaches and cream brugmansia. Most of my brugmansia are in Rockport, its not going to freeze there. I saw Albert put cuttings of hibiscus in just water last fall, and store in a back room. He had rooted plants by Dec. I can't wait to try doing this. I will be trying this on diffrent plants to see how it works. I am so excited. Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I do the same process as Barbra. When changing the water every other day I also check for rotting. Out of 20 cuttings only had two begin to rot. Trimmed the rotted area and started over again. All have rooted. Some varietites root faster than others. Once I see one rooting, I'll place a new cutting in with it and the hormones in the water seem to help the process of rooting the green cuttings.
    I have nubs on my LBG!!!

Lonnie

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Green cuttings are so much more susceptible to rot than the woody cuttings. I don't even try those anymore.