Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon

Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 0:55

Is it normal for a Meyer Lemon to bloom this time of year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon

Ruth- can't say whether it's normal or not, but has happened to me more than once. Seems to happen more on the side of the tree facing the house which is brick and usually after there's been a late warm spell. They drop off when it turns colder. Don't know if it makes a difference, but mine is in the ground.

Lisa

o

Since citrus trees are tropicals they will bloom year round when conditions are right. You'll also see ripening fruit while the tree is in bloom.

o

Mine that was cut back to the roots and regrew all year is covered in big fat buds. The kumquats are covered in fruit...and in the garage as of right now, and have tiny white bits that will be buds soon.

o

When I lived in Florida, the blooming of the citrus was 'the' sign that spring was here! They didn't really bloom the rest of the year, just the flush in the spring, unless they were fooled into it by the changeable weather.

Of course YMMV, especially if the citrus is potted.

Lin

o

Got my fingers crossed for your lemon, and for all other citrus in the area. :(

o

When I lived sw of Houston, kept a lot of citrus in pots. They bloom anytime, but winter was the big time. The loquat in the ground, too.

On mild days when I'd lift the plastic off the winter hoop houses the fragrance was intoxicating.

o

also from sw Houston. This fall I had citrus blossoms, amaryllises blooming and blooms on sweet bell pepper plants.

o

Mine produced a huge crop of lemons last fall. It is now in full blossom with the honey bees enjoying the nectar. It is in our greenhouse along with lime, orange, moringa, papaya, fig dragon fruit and guava trees. Most in full bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here