Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asian1970

Lawn Woes in Texas

Asian
12 years ago

Hi.

(posting this in the Lawn Care forum and now posting in this forum also as it looks more relevant with my situation).

I sowed grass in my backyard for creating a lawn this year but due to watering restrictions, the grass could not spread properly. Now, its an untidy, piece of land with grass in uneven patches and lots of weeds.

I am thinking of starting all over again as below :

1) Using some chemical to kill all and clear the land.

2) Planting grass patches instead of sowing as earlier. (to yield quicker, denser carpet in less time & less weeds). However, I could also go for sowing if it can yield a turf by next summer. No idea about sowing time though.

3) Keeping 1/4 of backyard in a corner for children playing using an artificial turf (fire ants are a hazard in the grass here in summers).

4) I would prefer the soft carpet of Xoysia instead of the Bermuda that I sowed earlier. I have also heard that it needs less water, as well as more softer and greener turf. I hope its not too costly.

Please share your experiences if you faced similar problem during lawn creation.

Thnx and Regards.

(p.s. I am near the Austin area)

Comments (11)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I've only seen good luck with people laying solid sod over winter.

• shebear
    12 years ago

I'm not sure you want to spend the time and money since some area water districts are talking about going to stage 4 water restrictions unless we get alot of rain.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

You might want to consider wide winding areas of crushed granite that the kids could play on w/some trees & soft tall ornamental grass accents. It will take a little research to decide on the design. Look around on this site for some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging blog ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Click around on this Austin blog for ideas too. He has kids. no grass, AND a great sense of humor!

Here is a link that might be useful: East Side Patch blog site

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

When we moved into our new home in the 1970's, I bet I planted enough Bermuda seed to cover 3 football fields, had a heck of a time getting it to grow! The neighbors on each side sodded with St Augustine and it eventually overtook the Bermuda in my yard. Go forward 40+ years - when I lose grass due the construction needed to make flowerbeds with Texas natives, I lose the St Augustine and the Bermuda grows back. In other words, give it a chance, it does spread...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

If you want to stick with grass for a little area at least and your yard is sunny I'd go wirh Floratam St. Augustine sodded or plugged . It grows fast. That's what I have.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

for now, with it being late in the year and winter coming, you might want to just use some winter rye or a ground cover crop.
    I would avoid the chemicals, some of them can retard growth for extended periods of time.
    Good luck!
    Tally HO!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

"for now, with it being late in the year and winter coming"

I can hardly wait! ;o)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

"for now, with it being late in the year and winter coming"

I can hardly wait! ;o)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

You didn't say how much sun it gets or how big it is.

Coarse blade zoysia grass (Jamur, Palisades, Empire) is probably best all around grass when it comes to minimal care. At my mom's, zoysia won the battle during terrible drought in Houston last year. They came back when rain returned unlike st augustine (with the exception for Floratam which seemed to be very drought hardy).

For sodding, zoysia is the most expensive at 180-210 dollars a pallet covering 450 sqft. St augustine depending on variety is 140-180 a pallet. Bermuda is the cheapest but I don't recall the cost. Bermuda is most hated by serious gardeners due to its invasive tendency.

If you want to go with the cheapest way, get st augustine 'floratam' pieces and plant 5-10 ft apart. Water them deeply once a week and they will fill in fast. Not sure where you can get pieces in Austin area. Usually, they sell "Raleigh" cultivar at big box stores but I don't recommend it. Pretty poor drought tolerance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floratam st augustine info

• Bryan Scott
    11 years ago

If you decide to start over with your lawn, check with your local water/wastewater office to see if you can obtain a watering variance for establishing a new lawn. City of Austin has this in place, but if not in Austin, then hopefully your city has something like it. This variance will give you a window to water your new lawn to get it established without breaking water restriction rules. Also keeps you legal when neighbors try to turn you in for water restriction violation.