Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzejna_gw

where are the bluebonnets?

dzejna
9 years ago

Hi y'all, I planted some blueberry seeds this fall, and the flowerbed is full of seedlings but are these bluebonnets?? The flowerbed was prepared well to kill weeds beforehand and I added some good soil before raking in the new seeds. But these babies don't look like bluebonnets to me..please help!

Comments (29)

• Carla
    9 years ago

Bluebonnets like high alkaline, rocky, poor soil, like that common to the hill country.

Carla

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

The frilly stuff in the middle looks like henbit to me, but I don't know what the other leaves are.

Bluebonnets are sort of blue/gray/green, longish narrowish leaves, & they emerge from a tender twiggy central rosette.

don't know where you live exactly, but bluebonnets grow rampantly in many areas, including DFW (google Ennis Bluebonnet for a whole event/trail/tour every year).

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago

Those are weeds. Sorry.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought so too. Bummer. :P Thanks everyone!

• houstontexas123
    9 years ago

weeds. bluebonnets grow in the Spring.

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

I see henbit and chickweed. No bluebonnets though. Were they prepared seeds or did you collect them yourself?

• jardineratx
    9 years ago

There are no bluebonnet seedlings there. There is not even a close resemblance to them. I don't know what these seedlings are....sorry.
    Molly

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

You could buy some six packs of blue bonnets when they are available.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Bluebonnets sprout in the autumn & the rosettes survive over the winter & grow & bloom in the spring.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I see at least one bluebonnet in there. I think if you'll search, you'll find more. Pick out the henbit and anything else that gets taller so it won't shade them out this winter.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Marti, you're right! I think you found one ... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: It may help to know what you're looking for ....

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I always had problems getting Blue bonnets to start on my lot. I bought seeds and more seeds. Then I developed an anti-Bluebonnet attitude. Dphinite case of antagonistic sour grapes. This year I went around the hill and collected a nice amount and scattered them thickly and BOY o BOY are they coming up.. I will be back for more for more from this very healthy population. I think it really makes a difference to collect the seed from a well adapted LOCAL population on land like yours. It has made all the difference in the world. They also like land that does not have a lot of competition.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am glad they are popping at your place at least. I bought a pack of seeds mixed with soil at Walmart and did everything as instructed, and it did say to plant in the fall. Seedlings came up nice and lush but when I looked over the pics of how seedlings are supposed to look, none of them were it. Did I just plant a bunch of weeds! LOL...

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I'm like wantonamara. I have spread seeds and not one sprouted. I bought seedlings at HD every year and finally one or two of those took hold and have been gradually spreading.

A neighbor on the other side of the fence tilled a section of his yard and let his little kids go out and scatter seeds. Within a couple of years his backyard was solid BBs.

Another neighbor down the street dug up some BBs in a big chunk somewhere (I didn't question her right to do that) and planted it and now her yard is solid BBs. After 5 years, I might have 20 plants.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Good eye on spotting that bluebonnet seedling! Definitely a fun "Where's Waldo" type of image.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

Add me to the list. Every year since we moved here, I would plant seeds in the fall. One year in spring, too. I also tried transplants. I have tried just throwing them on bare ground, soaking the seed, scarrifying, wildflower mixes, local varieties, etc. etc., $$$$.

Never got a single one to sprout, except last year. A single, lonely bluebonnet popped up and bloomed all spring. We were ecstatic! I hope next year we may have a few more.

My neighboor across the street has a whole field of them, as well as indian paintbrush and Mexican hats. People would stop, park in his lawn and take pictures of their kids and dogs romping through his yard. It got so out of hand that last year he just mowed it all down when they bloomed.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

WOOHOOO!!

I just went out in the freezing cold to look for bluebonnets, and found at least a dozen tiny little 2-4 leaf plants. YES! It's too cold to search for any more, but I'll gladly take a dozen if they all survive the winter!

Funny story about buying transplants...I found some at Walmart a few years ago, bought a few of them, and the lady checking me out scans the first few, then picks one up and really looks at it, squints at me and says "You know this a weed, right? You can just dig them up on the side of the road for free."

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my, you sure spotted one on that pic marti! THANK YOU! As soon as this cold wave is over I will get down to nitty gritty and pull the weeds without disturbing the BBs! There should be more hiding under there, huh? :D I was starting to despair, now I can relax a bit haha! Should I do anything to protect the seedlings or just leave them be?

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot to say, I have no idea where to go to collect seeds around Fort Worth, any suggestions? :)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

It's too late to collect seeds now, but you can buy them. I have some old ones I ought to put out and see if any sprout.

dzenjia, they don't get protected in the fields. I suspect they will be fine with frost. but if you are in an area getting a hard freeze in this crazy weather, it might not hurt to cover the tender new leaves. I'm not sure they need it but they are still so new that I'd err on the side of a little protection.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

For those who have a neighbor with the magic touch, why don't you go across the street and ask your neighbor if you can collect some of his seed. Offer him something in return.. They will be adjusted to your neighborhood soil conditions. I just through mine out with the chafe and opened pods and watered them in september once or twice.. There are actually 6 kinds of bluebonnets in our state also.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No one around here has them I guess I might be the first! :D

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Sometimes weeds will wilt/shrivel/croak when the temps drop, while the bluebonnets will remain cool & calm & happy.

so you might find that the weeds are easy to find amongst the healthy bbs!

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

I never see Blue Bonnets in the suburbs. I just bought some seeds and hope to plant them soon. Do you let them grow as a perennial or are they a self seeding annual? I'm completely new to this so would love to hear any advice!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

They are considered a biennial because they get started in the fall as a rosette and then bloom in the spring. I usually plant my blue bonnets so they get the september rains. I did them in October this year. I am unsure of what their ideal germinating temperature is but It might be getting on the late side. There is a bit of cool warmth coming up. I would get them in the ground as soon as possible . Maybe scarify and soak them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting instructions

• dzejna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah there are definitely some seedlings popping up now! I braved the chill 40F and ran out to check them out. I got the prepackaged seed already mixed with soil from Walmart. At first I could not see any bluebonnets, just weeds so I was about to get angry but thanks to the peeps here I realized I got some. :D I can't wait for some warmer weather to pluck those weeds out!

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

OK! Will plant my seeds asap!

• jardineratx
    9 years ago

Happy that there were some bluebonnets amidst the weeds! You will be rewarded for your patience in the spring. I couldn't see them in the photo until they were pointed out and now you are set to have BBs in the future. I sowed seeds about 12 years ago and have had a big batch of them every year since then. They really are beautiful.
    Molly