Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marscarl

where to buy Bougainvillea Plant to make tree

marsCarl
9 years ago

Want to make a Red/Pink Bougainvillea tree from a young plant or cuttings.
Checked a few places, including HD, Lowes and garden center, I only found hanging Bougainvillea which is not suitable to be trained as a tree.

Anybody knows where I may buy inexpensive plant ?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (8)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Try enchanted gardens corner of fm 723 and fm 359 in Richmond. Open Sunday, if slow, you can prob get somebody to search for you b 4 making trip but worth a visit anyway as very nice and reasonably priced nursery

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

FWIW, I tried making my own standard bougie and did quite well for 2 years but the freeze of 2012 killed it. It might be best to grow in pot and overwinter in garage for assured long life. Great plant b/c loves brutal sun

• marsCarl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appreciate both of your prompt advise.
    I drove to enchanted gardens, a really nice garden. Checked boss there, few hanging type available at the moment. I was advised to buy bougie in spring, as bougie doing bad in winter.

Thanks again.

• wally_1936
    9 years ago

Mine grows out of the ground to above the bottom of my roof here about 30 miles south of you and it has died back twice but comes back each year to they 8-10 foot level. The trunks are only about 1 1/2 inch id dia. It has just started to bloom and needs to be pruned back quite a bit. They say they are easy to start but this has not worked for me so far. Years ago we saw a "tree" that had a trunk that was a foot across and ran out about 40 feet along their roof. But a few years later it was gone.

• marsCarl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was curious why it is so difficult to see bougainvillea around. Seems Houston winter is still some what too cold for bougainvillea.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

Houston has enough freezing weather to keep them from getting giant like you see in the tropics. Galveston is much warmer and we have some huge specimens here. My Aunt had one that the trunk was bigger than my waist, Ike killed that one.

Go to Houston Garden center, they are 70% off. Right now they are going to be a bit hard to recognize because they have trimmed them back. Walk around the edges and look for the plants that are just nubs sticking out of the pot. I usually pick up a couple for Jim every year to turn into bonsai. You'll probably have to check the label.

You can also check Jimbos in Santa Fe, he had some nice big specimens earlier in the year, I haven't been there in a month or so and not sure if he still has them.

Tally Ho!

• marsCarl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks , Tally Ho.
    I searched on Houston garden, no success. Will try more!

• marsCarl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot, Beachplant!

I found nubs in houston garden center. Cost me 6.5$ only.

There is no lable at all, even store stuff did not know what that was.

I think that is bougainvilliea, but not sure what color will be, otherwise, I would buy more .