Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

Follow up question to the new fence question.

Lynn Marie
12 years ago

I've been scouring the web looking for things to plant in my new little space, and here are some things I've come up with. What do you think? Will they likely live on the north side of a fence? Will they look good together? Where can I get all of them at once?

Lycoris squamigera

columbine

caladium

hydrangea

holley

ferns

coleus

daylily

elephant ears

Comments (6)

• lou_texas
    12 years ago

Lynnmarie, some of these would be easier to find at certain seasons than others. You might get them all from the same store but possibly not at the same time.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

I've had good luck with lycoris on eBay, but the time to buy for best prices is late September. I think Brent and Becky's Bulbs carries them in their spring catalog.

Caladiums and elephant ears will be in the box stores in the spring, or you can buy some taro tubers in an Asian grocery store.

Maybe you can get some cuttings of holly and hydrangea to start over the winter?

Ferns - the best source is Carrie's house!!! Remember the Denton County plant swap in the spring!!!

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

If you are talking about that 6" space between the fence and the low rock wall, I think you might have some plants up there that seem a bit big for the space.

Holly, do you mean like a shrub?

The elephant ears would perhaps seem a bit squeezed in and smack up against the fence.

The hydrangea would be smashed against the fence on the north side.

Thats how it seems to me. I think maybe its too many mis-matched varieties since they will be basically lined in a row rather than mixed in a bed. Seems like too many different sizes, shapes, forms and types of plants. I would look for less types and ones that are more harmonious together that can be repeated or planted in groups of three or fives or sevens or more.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

See, that's why I ask. I am TERRIBLE about figuring out what will look good together. I know it when I see it, but I sure can't picture it before hand.
    By holly, I meant sky pencil specifically.
    I wondered if hydrangeas would be too cramped there.
    I thought elephant ears might be OK if they kind of grew away from the wall towards the yard. But they might not understand that's what I want them to do.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

Its an awkward kind of space. When I get stumped on what to plant, I drive around and try to get ideas. Look at what people around there plant on their north sides and try to visualize it there. I think that is what I would do. I grow quite of few sun loving plants on my north side. You could do it like a section of low growing and then a taller plant and then repeat the low growing then the taller and on down the length of the wall. On that narrow row area, I'd keep it very simple and use low maintenance plants that can stand drought.

If you really want to go fancy with it, you could dig a narrow bed in front of the wall (or better yet, a gently curved one) and plant groupings of rounded plants and some vertical ones. Perennials and ornamental grasses would be nice mixed. Then plant something that spills over the wall and use colors that compliment each other. Maybe some kind of ground cover like Gregg Dalea, various sedums or a creeping thyme, something that likes it dry so you won't have to worry so much about watering with it up higher. It would have good drainage up high like that and the soil might get on the dry side pretty quickly with the wall and all.

Pick your colors. Then pick your basic shapes. Then choose your plants. Thats a good rule of thumb for design.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

LynnMarie, I don't know how close you are to Colleyville, but Mary Margaret Halleck has a plant sale each spring to benefit victory boxes - and in her yard she has a similar situation along her driveway. I'm trying to remember what she has planted there - I think there may be some lycoris, and I'm pretty certain that she has some larkspur there in the spring. She might have some vines there too. If you're close enough to go by on her sale day, you can see what she has planted plus maybe even buy some of the plants!

Message me if you want the info to get on the mailing list.