Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

Thunbergia Alata

carrie751
12 years ago

I need help in identifying what the seed pods look like. I had one plant that I kept alive during the summer, and now it is blooming. I see nothing on it that looks like a seed pod. For those of you who grow this plant......HELP.

Here is a link that might be useful: thunbergia alata

Comments (18)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I grew them about 5 years ago. I remembered they were distinct. But could not remember exactly.

Here is a link that might be useful: BES seeds

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kathy, mine may not have been pollinated or I waited too long to look for them. I still have a number of blooms, so will be more diligent in looking.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Maybe that's what happened to my white one last year.
    I had tons of flowers, but could never find any seeds.
    I've had a few flowers this year but haven't looked for seeds yet.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

They are a simple seed pod, when viewed from the end look diamond shaped. In this picture there are several green pods up around the top of the headboard trellis and a straight on shot below and to the left of the uppermost bloom.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just looked again and still don't see any. This is from the seeds I got from you, Ruth.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

I checked mine and they all look like the 'not pollinated'
    ones.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thank each of you for your responses............I think mine just must be un-pollinated.........bummer !!!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I haven't had a fall bloom yet but if I find any seeds they are yours Carrie.

Mine seem to return from roots.

Pam

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought they were annuals, Pam, what a relief that there is a possibility this one may return from the roots.
    I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the seed offer. I really like this vine.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Carrie, I'll check my seed stash.
    Pretty sure I have some I can bring you.
    I had trouble getting them to germinate this year, so I got several more packs.
    My inground ones didn't come back, but I was successful overwintering 1 of 2 pots that I had last year.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Ruth...........I had trouble getting them to germinate as well. I wss not successfulw with the ones I ordered from Annie's Garden, but did get this one from you to germinate. I nursed it along all summer and at times, thought it wouldn't make it, but now it is so pretty. I have it with a clematis and it has even put on a few blooms to compliment the thunbergia.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

There is one of these planted at the library garden, and I can't find any seeds on it either. I thought I had found one last week and ended up destroying a bud. OH NO! Hopefully at tomorrow's work day I'll find some seeds.

The ladies here say it comes back from the roots as well. We shall see....

Lin

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will make plans to mulch this bed heavily ....... it would be nice if an established plant were to come back.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

So at yesterday's library garden work day, I checked the black-eyed Susan vine for seeds - I found a few seed pods that were pollinated, but nothing was ripe. The vine is staying until we get a freeze, so maybe some will ripen.

Oh - and the ladies yesterday corrected me, saying it re-seeds, not that it comes back from the roots. Sorry!

Lin

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Either way would work for me............

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Just an aside, Carrie - your last response posted at 11:11 on 11/11/11!!!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

WOW!!! I would have never noticed that!

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gee, Lin, and I had no idea......very observant on your part.
    I have taken another look at my thunbergia and have located what I believe to be three seed pods. I am going to leave them on to see if they will mature and dry before being whacked by the first hard freeze.