Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

ID sneaky vine ...

Does anyone know what this sneaky vine is? I call it 'sneaky' because I thought I had removed every bit of it a couple of years ago. Although I loved it's fall flowers it died to the ground every winter and the twinning vine was too hard to remove from the large wrought iron bird cage that it grew on.

I've been growing Coral honeysuckle on the arch nearby and thought "What the heck is that?" when the blue flowers appeared at the top a few days ago, and then I remembered. I hadn't noticed that it had infiltrated the Coral honeysuckle since the leaves are not that different in shape.

When it freezes I'll never be able to untangle it from the Coral honeysuckle without cutting them both to the ground and starting over! Sigh ...

I bought it many years ago at Rainbow Gardens. Since it wants to live so badly I will probably move it to another place and it would be nice to know what it is. Can anybody ID it?

Comments (24)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I cannot identify it, but it is certainly a beautiful vine. I will be anxious to know what it is.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Maybe a Blue Orchid Vine - Mascagnia lilacina
    I agree with Carrie, it is beautiful.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ruth, you're right -- that's it! How did you know? Have you had experience with it?

One source said it was native to Coahuila, Mexico and a relative of Barbados cherry. Also related to Mascagnia macroptera, yellow orchid vine. The seed pods are similar.

It's never produced seed pods that I've noticed, but I'll be watching for them this year.

Thank you Ruth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Results of blue orchid vine search ...

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

How's come gorgeous vines are always such thugs with a pretty face?

• ruthz
    12 years ago

No, I don't have experience with it, just love vines and it's one I would like to have.
    I do have the Mascagnia macroptera, yellow orchid vine.
    It's new for me this year and I didn't get any blooms.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I have that vine. Jolana gave me my start. She called it potato vine. But blue potato vine has star shaped blooms. Mine is lavender, not blue. It grows on the dead redtip by the phone box in my back yard.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, the blooms are on the blue side of lavender. My camera makes it look more blue than it is.

What are the growth habits and blooming period of your vine?

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

It started blooming just a couple weeks ago. I did not pay much attention until this year, as that monster gardenia rose was in front of most of it. This year it has grown really long runners as does the butterfly vine. They are along the bottom of the shed.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Is the blue potato bush, and blue potato vine the same? Should they be planted in full sun? I have a feeling my bushes are planted in the wrong location. I have two planted under hugh oak trees. They hardly bloom, I have had them for several years. I am always having to trim them. If they are vines, that would explain why. Barbra

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Roselee, it goes perfectly with the blue accents you have in your garden. :D

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Barbra, I don't have any experience with the blue potato bush or vine. Hopefully someone else does and will tell you.

Omar, I wish I had closed the purple gate on the arch before I took the picture. I hesitate to close it at all because the way the dogs race around the yard they might not see it, run into it, and break their necks!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Blue potato bush is not the same as what Roselee posted.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Not the vine either...........

• jardineratx
    12 years ago

I have had both the Blue Potato Vine (Solanum crispum glasnerium) and the blue potato bush (Solanum rantonnetii) and I personally did not have good results with the blue potato bush. The blue potato vine, however, is one of my favorite vines.
    I'm pretty sure the yellow butterfly vine is Mascagnia Macroptera, which is in the same genus as the Blue Orchid Vine (Mascagnia lilacina) that Roselee has in her photo. Unfortunately, It's almost impossible to accurately ID plants using common names and it usually leads to a lot of confusion. Whatever you have in your photo, Roselee is really beautiful.
    Molly

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Would you call this vine, hard to manage? does it take over wher you don't want it? It sure is pretty.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mara, no it's not an aggressive grower at all. I had just decided I didn't want a vine growing on the wrought iron bird cage and I thought I had removed the shallow roots. But some of the stems that travel along the ground and root found their way to the arch. I may leave it with the coral honeysuckle. The honeysuckle is evergreen and Mascagnia lilacina is not so we'll see how that works out. Next spring I'll find some rooted pieces to pass around.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Barbra, I have the BP bush, it gets full sun. This year it did not bloom until about 6 weeks ago. It is blooming near the asters so they really look pretty together.

I'll go out and take a pic. for you (y'all).

k

• carrie751
    12 years ago

My blue potato bush is going to get a severe pruning before it goes in for the winter..........it did bloom but has lost most of it's leaves and needs shaping as well. They are beautiful when they do bloom.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Blue Potato bush blooms.

It is the lime green leaves in the upper left in this view.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

My blue Potato Bush (from Carrie) took a major hit from that hail storm back in June. It looked ok at first but then about 2 weeks later I noticed whole branches were dieing off.
    I couldn't figure it out. I watered and watered. THEN I put my glasses on, duh!!!

The hail had damaged most all the branches and that's why they died. This thing was pretty big too. I had to cut it back to the base and start all over again. No blooms after that. I think it had a few before the storm. Its growing back, but pretty slowly I think due to the intense heat we had during the summer.

Last winter it bloomed in my garage in Dec and January! Then that awful snow and ice came and it quit. :(

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I am giving mine a severe pruning before I put it away for the winter. It has looked ragged all summer although it did bloom. I love the color of the "blue" blooms, Kathy.......so very pretty.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I love that garden! Beautiful!

• Deb Chickenmom
    12 years ago

The "sneaky vine" is beautiful. I love blue and it looks so nice on your arch.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

The vine is gorgeous but I love the trellis/arbor!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting