Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

weather for my area

plantmaven
12 years ago

The lowest it is forecast for my zip code is 51 for the next 10 days. Yippee!

I have buds on the conderate rose, but no blooms so far.

Comments (24)

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

Not much lower than that here either! YIPPEE!!!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Or here!! We do have 2 nights in the upper 40s though.
    I have bedding plants that need to go in ground so this extra time is good!

I've still got 2 tomato plants full of little green tomatoes.
    Just about twice a week I get enough ripe for a salad for 2. :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I am going swimming tomorrow.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

LOL! Wantonamara you are a brave woman!

"they" do this nearly everyday.... change the forecast a little bit... now we have some one night of very low 40's coming. :(

But its not a freeze! :)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I am loving this weather, could use it year round. Not sure what my Confederate rose is going to do as the freeze/frost nipped the buds pretty badly. It is at least eight feet tall and would have been spectacular, but may not get to see all that beauty this season....oh well, try again next year.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carrie, do you have one that blooms white to pink or pink to rose?

I have pink to rose and would like to trade cuttings for a white.

k

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Mine is pink to rose, but I may have a source for you of the other one. Let me see what I can do.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I'm loving this weather as well as enjoying the late blooming plants like Copper Canyon daisies. The roses have especially beautiful colors right now and the brug put out six new buds that are starting to bloom.

I'm using this time to more leisurely transfer tender plants to the greenhouse. For this once at least I'm not going to be running around tossing things in helter skelter in anticipation of freezing temps that night.

I'm also taking time to think about whether I truly want to keep every tender plant. How about you? Actually last winter made a some of those decisions for me as a few things didn't make it even in the green house.

The bougainvilleas are still blooming nicely so I'll put them in last and hopefully have time this year to tie them up first.

Mara, how was the water?

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Wow, in the 80's today, this really is great, isn't it? Actually had to water today, and planted plants today that just HAD to go in, hope I'm not too late, have a few more for tomorrow, and am done! I think we're good, at least for the next week or so...

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

We DESERVE a long fall after that summer! LOL.

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

The coolest its supposed to get here is the mid 60s for the next week. I'm so glad; I just planted some jasmine and they can use the time to get established.

If anyone knows where to get a white Confederate rose I'd love to know; it's on my list but I've never been able to find one. I'm not big on the pink.

AOK

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Several years back I bought one at a Nursery in Baytown.

This past winter it bit the dust.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Plus it's so nice to have time to do something besides water!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Oh, I'll drink to that, Roselee...........can't believe how much I can accomplish when I don't have to water all day.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Speaking of water, we got a good soaker early this morning.
    And still no freezes predicted through 11/24.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

That windy rain squall, which woke me up with it's horizonal rains coming in the windows, only left a little over 1/4 inch in the rain guage, but I'm happy to get it.

Another ten days without freezing is great news. Isn't this a wonderful time? So often we get an early freeze ruining flowers and foliage and then a month of warm weather afterwards.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

That did happen here in North Texas, Roselee.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry Carrie. Nine times out of ten we have a freeze followed by weeks of good weather too, but this year in San Antonio at least we've been able to enjoy a few flowers in nice weather. I'm going to post some pictures on the gallery later. I took them so what else am I going to do with them? LOL!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

That is a good place for them so the rest of us can enjoy them as well.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Roselee, The water was beautiful last sunday. I think it got into the mid 80's. That's swimming weather, in my book. Still pitiful rain. We got .25" out of the 2" rain .... LOL.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Mara, in my book too; sounds wonderful! Thanks for the report. The park you posted about on the gallery is beautiful, and a river runs through it!!

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Confederate Rose Hibiscus Will sometimes even bloom for a while in the spring if the weather is just right. As for me I need to cut mine to the ground each year. I got it as a cutting before hurricane Ike which knocked it to the ground. My son set it back up and it bloomed great that fall. They love water so mine did not have that many blooms this fall.

Yes it is nice weather we are having this year, they seem to think it will be warm and dry but they do not know much more than we do they just study the winds and water movements and made an educated guess. So enjoy it while it lasts. Looking forward to my daffodils coming into bloom about Christmas again. At least I will have a little color for the winter.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since I posted that, my confederate rose has begun blooming.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH