Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foundation work today!

Posted by piksi_hk 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 12:24

Ok, they just ripped out the bushes...wax leaf ligistrum,
the typical shrubs planted in 80's. Should I try to save them and replant or just start over. These were in the front of the house east facing. DH says if I wanted to save them (they will have to last for 1 week), that's fine.
How do I do that? or just replant with other plants.

I need help in deciding what to do...the cost of replanting, etc. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foundation work today!

if you have some large pots or empty garden space, just plant them in temporarily, and water. maybe prune them a little if they lost a lot of roots. they should survive.

o

I'd start over with new plants. Nothing like an updated planting to really spruce up th front of the house. If you have the typical moustache type planting, I'd use several different plants to make it more interesting. But I always like an excuse to periodically change the landscaping around the house. I'm an avid (rabid) gardener.

o

If you want to save them, get them in the shade and keep them damp, not soaking wet.

o

Honestly, I'd start all over with new plants. The bushes you had were old, and current design guidelines are different now. Honestly, I'd clear a large swath of the yard away from the house and plant a xeriscape or natural bed around the foundation. I may be wrong, but, I'm thinking that if you can get the foundation to settle at a natural level, with plants that don't change that as "foundation plantings", then you won't have to bring the foundation guys back out.

o

Well, they are gone...the foundation guy said they were mature plants (20 yrs) and would not survive replanting. So DH said we could replant with new plants!

So the question is which plants? I would definitely add more color. The front is south facing so it gets very hot.

Any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here