Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Coffee Grounds on Fireants

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

tried it this week, & it worked!

I dumped a whole silver bag of Starbucks used coffee grounds on a big fireant mound, & within 2 days the ants were gone.

Comments (14)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Really? Gone as in moved or dead or both? That is good news, they have been really bad this year

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't been able to tell if they're dead or if they moved on, but I'm going to dose some more mounds & see what happens.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

ROFLA J.D. Your funny

I should use the coffee ground more but don't get around to it like I should.
    I've also been told that you can take a scoop of the ant mound to another ant mound, place it on top then do the same to the first mound, take a scoop of the mound that you placed the soil/ants onto and place it on the first mound. They fight over turf it seems and kill each other off. I have not tried it but it's worth a try.
    BTW, The ants just move on using coffee grounds.

It's best if you can get enough to do the whole yard at once and the added plus is earth worms like coffee so they'll be happy.

• debndal
    16 years ago

Now Barb, did they happen to tell you how to get a scoop of fire ants to the other side of the yard before they crawl up your arm and sting the crap outa ya? Hey, that would make a great relay race for the county fair!

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Maybe you have to run really really fast, or put them on a cart.

• texasflip
    16 years ago

No, you scoop it in a spoon and run with it in your mouth!

• sewnmom7
    16 years ago

hi, was wondering if this would work with my myers lemon, in a container. i'm trying it tomorrow,as we're getting a freeze wens. nite. i've got to hurry!!!!molly

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

can't hurt.

It seems like it takes a day or so to work.

The only other effective thing I've found is orange oil:
    put an ounce in a gallon of water, add a squirt of dish soap, & pour the entire gallon onto the undisturbed mound.

I did that with a hibiscus this past summer, & a lot of its leaves yellowed.

I drenched it daily to wash the orange oil out of the soil, & it recovered, but had I known about coffee grounds, I'd have tried that first.

• texazgal
    16 years ago

Mom gave me some hibiscus to overwinter in my new greenhouse and one had fireants in it, I put the orange oil on, no luck, sprayed with Neem, no luck, finally this morning I submergered the whole pot in a bucket of water and left till this pm. Took it out and will see in the morning if the little b*&*^%$#s are gone. Did't see any sign of them. Gads, I hate tha little devils.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I topped the soil all of my tropicals with UCG to get them ready to come inside. I killed some plants with orange oil a few years ago, maybe too strong of a solution.I also got a great idea from someone here to use a 1 inch layer of sand over the soil to keep the fungus gnats numbers down.

Pam

• sam_kx4sam
    10 years ago

Well,

I have fire ants and coffee grounds. Know what I'm doing this afternoon.

• seamommy
    10 years ago

Don't use orange oil on your lemon tree soil. Try the coffee grounds and if they don't work, remove the tree from the soil and replant in New soil.

• seamommy
    10 years ago

Don't use orange oil on your lemon tree soil. Try the coffee grounds and if they don't work, remove the tree from the soil and replant in New soil.